Help...Valiant Barracuda

Hi there

I've got a 1969 Valiant barracuda V8 and need to get its brakes fixed. It's got bad brakes and i've changed the master cillinder and overhauled the rear wheel brakes. I don't know what to do next. Somebody told me something about the booster or something..... Can anybody please send me some documentation or advice to hendrik snipped-for-privacy@ananzi.co.za .

I Live in South-Africa so the old chrysler cars here are very few. This is also a special edition and 1 out of 10 made in SA with the V8.

Please help Thanx Hendrik

Reply to
BILEMAN

Hendrik-

We need more information on the brake system in your Barracuda. In addition to the different brake systems available on these cars (9" drum all around, 10" drum all around, front disc/10" rear drum), the RHD cars got a variety of different hydraulic systems. Some of them used a booster mounted to the firewall with the master cylinder mounted to that, others used a master cylinder bolted directly to the firewall and a British-made remote booster mounted forward in the engine bay. If you'll describe your system fully, we may be able to help.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I did not know that Barracudas were made in South Africa. Does it look like the American offering, or more like the Valiants build in Australia?

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

They weren't made there. They were made in RHD form in Canada and shipped to South Africa.

South Africa did get some Australian Valiants beginning in '71 and increasing after '73, but from '60 to '73 the South African line was primarily American-type A-bodies with right-hand drive and some local mechanical variations.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Who made the remote booster and is it still available? Been looking for a replacement for a Hydrovac but with dual circuits to use on a completely unrelated car. (want to convert from single to dual circuit master cylinder.)

thanks,

nate

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote:

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

It was a very common setup on a great many "commonwealth" (=British) cars. I believe the one in the RHD South African Valiants was made by Girling, but I could be mistaken.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern