Peugeot 307 Rear Brakes

I hope that somebody can assist.

Against my wifes wishes I decided to change the pads on the rear disks. I have changed hundreds of sets of brakes in my life how difficult can it be.....

I removed the two bolts holding the caliper, removed the old pads and spent the next 3 hours trying to force the piston back into the caliper, I have opened the reservoir in the engine and even opened the bleed screw while trying to push back the piston. I remounted the caliper to get the best leverage and have bent every too I have that fitted in and in anyway gave me any leverage.

As a last resort, thinking I may be missing something, I attempted the whole exercise while pushing the hand break mechanism, the result is that the piston has moved out even further and I cant even put in the old pads again.

I am in South Africa and there is not a single Peugeot dealer that is open until Monday, has anybody ever had a similar problem, please tell me I am missing something.

At the point where a rag in the fuel tank is a great idea.

Thanks D

Reply to
drastik

Itis the handbrake which is holding the caliper. If you look at the inner piston, you will see some notches in it. You have to use a file end or similar, thick screwdriver perhaps, and turn the piston in a clockwise direction. You will note that there is a small groove across the piston as well as the lager ones. This must end up horizontal, either above or below the larger groove. The inner pad has a locating lug on it and this must locate on the notch in the caliper. When it's all beck together, operate the foot and handbrake several times to take up the slack. Actually this was taken from the 306 rear disc information. The 307 still requires the piston to be turned clockwise, but helpfully they don't provide notches. They use a special tool, so you will have to improvise I'm afraid. It's basically is a tool which wedges inside the hollow piston and grips it to turn it. Good luck.

Reply to
Brian

I have just read the next bit in the Haynes book, it says Slide the new pads into position in the caliper, making sure that each pad's friction material is facing the disc.

Cor I wondered why my rear brakes didn't work and made a lot of noise!

Reply to
Brian

Well, did it help?????????

Reply to