maintenance questions

Hi, I have a 2002 neon with $40,000 km mileage, change oil and do maintenance every 5,000 km. Last time I was at the deaalership for car maintenance, they told me even without looking at the vehicle yet, that they have to perform hot oil flush, after inspecting the vehicle they also suggested to do emission service, which is supposed to clean buildup somewhere in the engine.

My question is did they have to do hot oil flush and how is this different from just oil flush they also performed the same day, and is the emission service something they have to do regularly?

Thank you

Vadim

Reply to
VADIM OBUKHOV

With the hot oil flush they warm up the oil before sticking it up your ass, it feels better that way. They are a pretty nervy dealer to charge you for 2 oil changes in the same day.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Is it an automatic transmission? I suspect they wanted to do a transmission flush. They wanted to do it because they bought a brand new AT flush machine.

Reply to
Art

Hi Art,

Thank you for the reply, do you mean that hot oil flush was unnecessary? What about the emission service?

Reply to
Vadim

Emission Service????

I presume this car is computer controlled with an Engine Management System, and has a computer controlled coil pack.

If that is the case, then emission service is absolutely unneccessary

- unless something is wrong with the vehicle. And if something is wrong with the emssion systems, then it is covered by warranty for a considreable period of time (ie longer than 40,000 km!)

When I had my 95 Corsica, the first minor tune up was recommended at

50,000 km. This consisted of spark plugs, an air filter, and a general check of the car for problems which might not have been detected to that point. The point being that the warranty on that car was 60,000 km bumper to bumper. So as you get close to the end of the warranty, you want to make sure that you don't try and slide in "under the wire"

- just in case they screw something else up trying to fix something in the first place! As long as problems are detected and corrected before the warranty expires, there is no question as to who is responsible.

But dealers can be slime! at 58,000km, my A/C stopped working. I took it in, and they recharged the A/C system. THAT was a PATCH! designed to get me past the end of the warranty! The next summer, the A/C stopped working. Only THIS TIME that needed to overhaul the system! I needed a new coil under the dash, and new seals, and, and, and..... Was going to clost close to $1100!

Yeah right. As fate would have it, my then wife and I split, and she got the car! :) :) :) I guess she did not notice that slow trans leak that she refused to get fixed, so she blew $3500 letting GM "rebuild" her tranny too! hehehe. I digress.

IMHO, you need to read your manual. There is a maintenance schedule in it. Review it carefully. My bet is there is no mention of an "emission service", or, if there is, it is likely closer to 100,000km than

40,000km! And I don't think you will find a mention of a "hot oil" flush either. Read the manual, follow the maintenance schedule. If a dealer wants to do something over and above the specified maintenance schedule that is going to cost you money, then they better have a damn good explanation or its "no go".

I hate sleezy dealers that do service work that is NOT required just to pad their bottom line and take advantage of customers!

hth

Reply to
NewMan

Thanks a lot, NewMan.

Reply to
Vadim

You were taken for a ride. There is no such thing as a hot oil flush. Pull out the service book that came with your car and follow its recommendations. Find your self another service center for future serivce.

If the car is running fine there is no need to do any emissions service. You might benefit from some new spark plugs at 40,000 miles and I recommend dual plat plugs for that vehicle. Other than changing the oil and filter, transmission fluid and filter, and air filter at Chrysler recommended periods there is not much else to do if it runs fine. If you eventually get some idle issues sometimes cleaning out the air intake system is in order.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I have never heard of a hot oil flush. If you drive your car into a shop, generally the engine [thus the oil] is already warm prior to draining. It makes no real sense to put in hot oil after draining out hot oil. You likely were scammed.

I have heard of emission checks, but like the above poster said, it usually at 100K or so, and involves a tailpipe analysis of the exhaust and a check of any emission sensors around the cat.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Now, at times, with a sludgy engine, which doesn't seem to be your case, a oil-change or dealer shop may suggest a chemical engine flush TX. I've used Gunk, but I do my own changes. And, caveat here, sometimes the Gunk or other oil-cleaning TX may loosen a seal and create leaking. I had it happen once to me, but generally, have had np with using an engine flush tx prior to changing my oil.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Or you can simply change your oil frequently. Oil contains an additive package which cleans the crankcase in a gentler manner than Gunk, do about 5 oil changes at 2000 mile intervals and it will clean the sludge out.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I would never go back to that dealer. If you are doing regular oil changes according to the service manual, you should never need an oil flush.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

may be necessary to clean the soft carbons off the intake valves, throttle body, etc. Some places call this a 'motor vac', where the fuel line is disconnected, and a cleaner is pulsed through the injectors and throttle body, etc. I agree with all of the other posts; at your mileage, oil changes and air filters are all you need to do to maintain the vehicle. Have a nice day, Bill

Reply to
billccm