Mini-Van Alternator

Our 04 Town & Country's alternator started making noise at 60,000 miles. I was in shock after I did a web search and discovered how expensive even rebuilt devices are selling for (well over $200.00 up to $350.00). What ever happened to the reasonably priced rebuilds (likely new brushes and bearings and a paint job)? I asked my mechanic to replace the belt at the same time with a Gaterback but he said he didn't use them, just Gates belts for his shop. Oh well.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

That seems to be the going rate for them now. I replaced one on my 1990 Dodge Spirit a few years ago, and it was $138.00 from Checker.

Back in the 1970's rebuilt units could be had for $40 - $80.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Hi Richard...

Haven't had a Chrysler long enough to have need, yet; but with GM's you can buy re-build kits for about 25 dollars.

Might be worth looking into; we get them here in Canada at Canadian Tire.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I am curious to know what parts these rebuild kits include? Does it include new bearings and the other parts that wear such as the slip rings and brushes?

Are any special tools needed? I am thinking of trying to do a rebuild myself next time, so that is why I am asking.

Thanks,

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Hi KM...

Have what's left of an older GM one in my hand...

Front bearing, brushes and springs, new regulator, and diode trio, grease.

Hardest part of the whole job is getting the (don't know the word, old and forgetful now) - fan? - thing on the shaft outside the alternator, with bent tabs to throw air at the alternator off. Hope you somehow understand what I'm referring to. :)

Need a puller, and a good bench vise :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to