Minivan wobbles/vibrates a lot

My '96 Ply.Gr. Voyager has started to vibrate/wobbles a LOT whenever I accellerate. It is especially bad when I am driving at slower speeds(eg. 20-50 mph) , and then try to speed up. The mechanics took a look and changed an axle that they said was bent. It did not fix the problem. The van is going back to the shop tomorrow or Tuesday, but can anyone offer any thoughts as to what might be causing this problem.

The van was not hit or anything like that, but the shaking is really bad. The wobbling/shaking does not happen when I am just cruising or if I am braking or slowing down. It only happens when I press on the gas pedal to speed up.

Thanks,

George

Reply to
George

First these axles don't "bend". You may have a bad cv joint in one or the other. Also if they're putting in remans they're probably no good. I've been through them and no more. If I ever need it again I will bring the axles to a TRUSTED rebuilder. You may have a bad tire. I've had belts shift/seperate cause this. The backing plate of your brake rotor(s) may be damaged or warped. It could be as simple as lug nouts improperly tightened. Front wheel drive is a PIA and when you couple it with these heavy vans a tiny problem becomes a BIG wobble. Another place to look is to r&r the wheels and brake rotors. Clean ALL mounting faces of corrosion and than properly tighten with a hand torque wrench. BTW proper torque is I believe

Reply to
jdoe

George,

Have the shop check the inner tie rod ends.

Had a similar problem on a '94 Caravan, this fixed it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon