need help with transmission problem

I have a 1995 chrysler cirrus with transmission problems.. while driving home, I heard a hiss-like noise ( like air coming out of a balloon) and now my automatic transmission will not shift out of first gear...need diagnostic help

Reply to
BarbH

Are you sure it is stuck in 1st gear and not second? Chrysler transmissions automatically default to 2nd gear only when they fail any type of internal diagnostic. This is called limp home mode to allow you to get it to a qualified service center to diagnose and repair the issue. Did you experience any other symptoms? For instance, if you lost your speedometer, then the output speed sensor is the likely fault. Have you checked the fluid level using the procedure in the owner's manual? Was the trans recently serviced, perhaps with the wrong fluid (use ATF+4 or ATF+3 only).

Also, more info would be very helpful. For instance, the vehicle's mileage, any transmission service performed ever and if so, when and by whom? Can you better describe the hiss like noise and where it seemed to originate from?

At this point, without additional info, my advice would be to not drive the vehicle other than to take it for service. I'd also recommend you only use a qualified transmission service center that has experience with Chrysler vehicles since most will use the wrong fluid and cause you long term issues. As to the source of your problem, it could be a $30 sensor, or an internal part failure requiring a $2K rebuild. The trans computer will have diagnostic failure codes stored that will help lead to the final diagnosis.

Good luck and post what you find for others benefit.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman