Transmission? problem

Hi guys, today Murphy had a party with my '73 SB. Maybe you can help me

First, it was a broken brake line, all the fluid of the front wheels and most of the rear was lost. So, I had no brakes. I decided to continue driving home really carefully, downshifting everytime I had to stop on a red light. just 100 meters from my house, while turning a corner in 2nd gear, I heard a horrible grinding noise coming from the rear axle. I stoped and tried shifting into 1st and continue, but everytime I depressed the gas, there was the grinding noise and no motion. Also tried shifting while having the car off and starting with the clutch pedal depressed, but no luck. So, I just pushed the car the remaining 300 feet and went home. Already looked on the Muir book, the official service manual and the Hayes repair manual for clues and not a word about problems like this one.

So, my last resort is talk to the experts (you), and see if I can fix this or should a change the whole transmission/transaxle.

Thanks for your help, I know you can help me out.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Doesn't sound too bad to me, but It could be a tranny I guess. Most likely is that you have a drum that the inner splines are eaten away from, or an axel with no teeth.................That's the first thing I'd check.

however, I don't think the going part is nearly as important is the stopping. So I recommend that you fix your brake problem first. then if the other issue hasn;t become obvious by the time you've finished that, then check back with us.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Agree with Maudib. Put in gear with handbrake on (engine idling) and look underneath to see if either axle shaft is spinning. If one is, the splines in the drum are gone. Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Muadib, I already fixed the brakes, tomorrow I'll deal with this issue and tell you about it.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Good idea Jim, as always, your advice is really helpful. First thing tomorow I'll check that.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Hello again. Now I'm going to test the axle like you recomended. But there is something weird about this, I remember that last night the grinding noise was still there when the engine was running and in neutral. Shouldn't the noise be gone when in neutral if it was the axle? Is not that noisy, but you can hear it. it sounds more the more RPM the engine gets. Maybe the clutch/pressure plate?

Now I'll test the axle, but I just have a feeling it's not that.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Karls,

If it is not the drum splines, while your under there, here are some more things to check. If your model has CV joints??, check these and their bolts. If all above is OK, Do you still have "freeplay" at the clutch pedal? Even if you have, it could be a bad throwout bearing, or broken clutch fork.

Grahame from Aus

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote:

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe