New Pacifica version

They are coming out with a 5 seater using the 3.8 engine instead of the 3.5.

Reply to
Art

That's progressive. Install a bigger fuel guzzler. Obviously, these Germans don't take hints from each other. Porsche is making a deal to use Toyota hybrid engine technology on their SUV's. Go figure. Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

what diesels do you know, that aren't interference engines, and/or don't have timing belts?

(or were timing chains ok in your book?)

just curious.

Reply to
JBloggs

All diesels are interference. There is no way around it, given the 20+/1 compression ratio. There are only two brands of diesel cars sold in the U.S., VW and MB. The VW's have belts, and the MB's have chains. Everyone in Europe is selling diesel cars, and there is a mix of belts and chains among the Peugeot, Ford, Opel, Renault, Fiat, and others.

Reply to
KokomoKid

...and Chrysler...

In Europe you could not sell an MPV without a diesel engine.

Whilst the Crossfire is, so far, petrol only, the Mercedes CLK is already available with a diesel engine

The 300C and 300C Touring are petrol only, so far

but I wouldn't be surprised that if it sells reasonably well a diesel became available.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

What leads you to believe that the larger displacement engine will be a 'bigger fuel guzzler'?

Please show your research.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

While in London a few months ago I was in a diesel powered Chrysler minivan for a 90 minute drive to the airport. Would have never known it was a diesel except the driver told me so.

Art

Precisely so. What you experienced is a modern engine running on low-sulfur fuel. Even in traditionally dieselphobic Britain diesel cars are taking an increasing market share.

My own cars are still petrol but my hire cars in Europe are increasingly diesel. Last summer (in Italy) I had a 1.9 l turbodiesel (well, they're just about all turbos now) Alfa Romeo 147 for two weeks. In short: great. I also think it's the most beautiful small car, though I would probably still hesitate in buying one as the reliability and rust-resistance may still not be up scratch despite great strides having been made in recent years.

Constantly changing pic in top left.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Looks very nice plus roomy for a small car with style. I like it too. At least the pictures.

Reply to
Art

I find it makes the 300C look better to me!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Windows are about the same size in both cars.

Reply to
Art

Agreed. The GT front end looks like an updated and streamlined Edsel.

Reply to
Mike Behnke

From Alfa's web site, the 147 is "Fully refurbished and enriched with new accoutrements". Alfa scavenging salvage yards now?

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Yes, I had much the same thought. Butt ugly to my eye, but everyone has different taste in car designs.

I find the new 300C ugly as well. I like a more streamlined look. I liked, and still like, the original Concorde style.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

:-))))

I guess they forgot to employ a native English speaker to write the copy.

An regarding eye appeal, I should, of course, have prefaced my comment with IMO or, even more grovellingly, IMHO...and I wasn't surprised when someone picked up on that...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Clearly, Dori, your tastes will vary from the U.S. readers which predominate here. No need to grovel for being a Brit!

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Reply to
RPhillips47

Some people shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard.

Did it ever occur to you that a bigger displacement, LOWER peak horsepower but HIGHER peak torque engine might just yield BETTER fuel efficiency in a heavy vehicle than a high-revving quad-valve overhead-cam engine that spends 99.999% way off its optimum operating parameters does?

Reply to
Steve

MB doesn't sell a diesel in the US any more. And REAL diesels don't have glow-plugs or pre-chambers, and their camshafts are turned by GEARS, not by chains OR belts.

Reply to
Steve