New Pacifica version

They are coming out with a 5 seater using the 3.8 engine instead of the 3.5.

That's progressive. Install a bigger fuel guzzler. Obviously, these Germans don't take hints from each other. Porsche is making a deal to use Toyota hybrid engine technology on their SUV's. Go figure. Arthur

What leads you to believe that the larger displacement engine will be a 'bigger fuel guzzler'?
Please show your research.
--Geoff
Arthur wrote:

Some people shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard.
Did it ever occur to you that a bigger displacement, LOWER peak horsepower but HIGHER peak torque engine might just yield BETTER fuel efficiency in a heavy vehicle than a high-revving quad-valve overhead-cam engine that spends 99.999% way off its optimum operating parameters does?
Steve wrote:

Don't confuse him with the facts, Steve. Everybody knows that bigger engines use more gas!
:-P
--Geoff

Unfortunately EPA figures aren't available yet at Chrysler's site but I was thinking that at least there would be a low end torque improvement.

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 01:10:07 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio

what diesels do you know, that aren't interference engines, and/or don't have timing belts?
(or were timing chains ok in your book?)
just curious.

But
the
All diesels are interference. There is no way around it, given the 20+/1 compression ratio. There are only two brands of diesel cars sold in the U.S., VW and MB. The VW's have belts, and the MB's have chains. Everyone in Europe is selling diesel cars, and there is a mix of belts and chains among the Peugeot, Ford, Opel, Renault, Fiat, and others.
...and Chrysler...
http://www.chrysler.co.uk/chrysler /
In Europe you could not sell an MPV without a diesel engine.
Whilst the Crossfire is, so far, petrol only, the Mercedes CLK is already available with a diesel engine
http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pc/index.html
The 300C and 300C Touring are petrol only, so far http://www.chrysler.de/content/chrysler/de/modelle/300c_touring/antrieb/motoren.html
but I wouldn't be surprised that if it sells reasonably well a diesel became available.
DAS
While in London a few months ago I was in a diesel powered Chrysler minivan for a 90 minute drive to the airport. Would have never known it was a diesel except the driver told me so.

Precisely so. What you experienced is a modern engine running on low-sulfur fuel. Even in traditionally dieselphobic Britain diesel cars are taking an increasing market share.
My own cars are still petrol but my hire cars in Europe are increasingly diesel. Last summer (in Italy) I had a 1.9 l turbodiesel (well, they're just about all turbos now) Alfa Romeo 147 for two weeks. In short: great. I also think it's the most beautiful small car, though I would probably still hesitate in buying one as the reliability and rust-resistance may still not be up scratch despite great strides having been made in recent years.
http://www.alfaromeo.com/cgi-bin/pbrand.dll/ALFAROMEO_COM/home.jsp
Constantly changing pic in top left.
DAS
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :-)
Matt
Looks very nice plus roomy for a small car with style. I like it too. At least the pictures.

Art wrote:

I find it makes the 300C look better to me!
Matt
Windows are about the same size in both cars.

Matt Whiting wrote:

Agreed. The GT front end looks like an updated and streamlined Edsel.
Mike Behnke wrote:

Yes, I had much the same thought. Butt ugly to my eye, but everyone has different taste in car designs.
I find the new 300C ugly as well. I like a more streamlined look. I liked, and still like, the original Concorde style.
Matt
"Matt Whiting" wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

No, it looks like an old 50's Alfa Romeo. A contemporary of the Edsel :-)
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

From Alfa's web site, the 147 is "Fully refurbished and enriched with new accoutrements". Alfa scavenging salvage yards now?