Newbie Question regarding the Dodge Magnum RT

I disagree. The trip computers in our vehicles have been unbelievably accurate on every occasion that we've double-checked them (many times over the 11 years we've owned the '93 for example). The only thing that would throw them off is non-stock sized tires without the proper correction in the software.

Reply to
Steve

Did they ever? I don't think Mercedes or even BMW had that much to learn from Volvo..

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Volvo was still doing very well when Pehr Gyllenhammar, the leader of their corporate change from "Fordism" (mindless assembly lines) to team-based work, finally retired. His successor felt the company was coddling its employees (apparently hadn't read Gyllenhammar's book, People at Work, available at Amazon - no, you can't have my copy!) and got strict on 'em, they partnered with Mitsubishi, and the execs chose to sell the car business to Ford. None of these bode well for Volvo.

I remember the 240GL fondly - it was a tank with an interior that made my 1976 Valiant look like a Lexus, a shifter that was harder to use than the one in my Sundance, and quality that didn't quit. (The 740 was a bit more refined). I loved the 850's eager engine and I liked its upgraded interior, though some of their fittings were not quite up to the standard set by the Sundance and Neon! Still a great car overall. Of course you paid a premium for ANY Volvo. But you do that for a Honda or Toyota, too.

Mercedes and BMW could learn a lot about quality from Volvo of the

1970s-1990s. Of course, Mercedes could also learn from Mercedes of the 1980s.

PS> For what it's worth...

is a Dodge Magnum R/T (or Magnum RT) review based > Did they ever? I don't think Mercedes or even BMW had that much to learn > from Volvo..

Reply to
David Zatz

??!! Huh?

One of the nicer aspects of the 240 was its manual-transmission shifter. There must've been something wrong with yours. The automatic shifter was just fine, too.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I don't disagree with that. However, even in the eighties Merc had instances of problems, as did, I suppose, every one else.

Nowadays increasing complexity has something to do with declining reliability, not just chez Mercedes.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling