Oil 3.0 V6 again

Hi!

I don't wanna start a new long discussion but I have no other sources about my Plymouth Grand Voyager 1996. It has 3.0 V6 Mithubishi engine and I use LPG. Considering Your ealier opinion I am very curious if use of given oil depends on it's sticky because common mineral oils have sticky value lower than not reccomended by You 10W-40 and synthetic ones have higher value of sticky. There are common oils on my market:

sticky (depends on a producer) Mineral oils: 15W-40 130-136

Semi: 10W-40 140-156

Synthetic: 0W30, 5W30, 155-168 0W40, 5W40, 10W-40 155-191

I'm going to use mineral one because it costs half than sythetic but if several of You reccomend sythetic oils which have much more sticky than minerals ones, I don't understant why You don't recomended the semi one?

And, if I use the mineral, Have I change it often? Mayby I should use one of the sythetic's? I live in country where temperature in Winter is about 0 - -10C (down to 10F) but oridinary about (15F) lately and in wummer up to 30C (86F). Mayby next year I will go to the south Europe where temperature can be up to 40C (104F) - about 5 tys. miles trip.

Can You precisely answers my questions?

Yours Sincerely,

proxy

Reply to
proxy

What is "sticky?" I've never heard that term used with respect to oil. What is the source of your figures? And why are you afraid to use your real name?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

other sources

Snip

Jaromir, as you probably know, regardless of the brand or type oil you decide to use, it should have a viscosity rating approved by the manufacturer of your car. That being the case, in general, you should use the thinnest oil that will *properly* lubricate your engine. As far as the mineral oil vs. synthetic debate goes, synthetic oil is superior in every way. It protects better, lasts longer and flows better at cold temperatures. Synthetic oil also uses less modifiers to achieve its "multi" viscosity rating than mineral oils. Considering your climate, the ability of synthetic oil to flow better than mineral oil is important. To illustrate the difference conduct the following experiment. Buy a quart of mineral oil and a quart of synthetic oil with the *same* viscosity rating (e.g., 5W30). Set them outside over night. The next morning bring the oil inside and pour some from each bottle into a paper cup. You will see that the synthetic oil pours much more freely than the mineral oil even though it has the same viscosity rating. My recommendation? Synthetic, of course.

Happy motoring,

Al Phillips

Reply to
Soars with Turkeys

what is "wummer"? Can You precisely answers my questions?

why in the hell does a pollock like you have our good american synthetic oil available? Can You precisely answers my questions?

Reply to
God

Why don't you f*ck off asshole.

Smuga Just another "pollock"

Reply to
Smuga

I think Matt and Mr. "God" should be required to compose a 100 word post in Polish, and then be publicly critiqued and ridiculed by Polish language experts.

God wrote:

Reply to
Bill Putney

They'd probably struggle to complete the assignment in English, never mind Polish.

Reply to
Dave

Associating me with the idiot making the Polish slur is offensive, Bill. I questioned the man's knowledge about oil, but I didn't come even close to making a racial slur to him, nor would I ever do it. I expect an apology from you.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

You're right. While I thought you were a little hard on him but slightly within the bounds of reasonableness (and certainly normal for you) 8^) , what you posted does not compare with the other poster's comments. The comments by the other poster aside, I guess my point was that it's hard enough composing something in an unfamiliar language and at the same time making technical sense (assuming something doesn't get lost in the translation) - i.e. you could have cut the guy a little slack.

My sincere apologies (and not just the Pete Rose type of apology).

Bill Putney

I'm certainly nothing approaching an expert in this area, but I remember reading that there is one particular area in which non-synthetic is better than synthetic. I don't recall which characteristic that is, but IIRC it is either in piston scuffing or film retention properties (I believe that one of the results of long-term use of pure synthetic oil noticed in the tear-downs is significant piston scuffing). It was also stated that that is the reason that a blend may not be a bad idea - get all the benefits with little compromise of the better properties of both.

Bill Putney

Racial slur? Do you really think that Polish people are their own race??? What race do you think Polish people are?

Reply to
Ed Pulaski

By the workaholic tendancies shown by my good friend and neighbor, the polish proffessor, I'd say the "rat race". Real nice guy too.

Reply to
clare

Jin Dobre (sorry about spelling -- read as if English).

What does your local dealer and/or independent garage suggest?

With a vehicle that new I would go for the appropriate synthetic oil, possible semi-synthetic if recommended by the dealer/manufacturer.

Do you have the original manual (instruction book)?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

When breaking in a new engine for the first 25-50 hours or so, a non-synthetic oil is probably best, at least until the rings are seated. But some cars today come with synthetic from the factory, so go figure. I assume however that the initial oil the factory uses for checkout is still non-synthetic.

Reply to
Greg Houston

Yes, I may not have given sufficient consideration to the language challenges he faces, but I certainly wasn't making fun of his nationality. I was only talking about his knowledge of oil! :-) I have no tolerance for racists.

Thanks, Bill.

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

I'm not aware of any such parameter for cars. I'm not saying there isn't such a limitation, I'm just not aware of one. I am aware of an issue that Mobil had when it introduced synthetic oil to the aviation market. Avgas still has a fairly high lead content. The synthetic did not suspend the lead nearly as well as mineral oil and the lead precipated in the form of a pasty sludge. This clogged up the passages in the controllable pitch propellors among other problems. Mobil ended up rebuilding several fairly expensive engines and pulled the product from the market. So, I agree with you that saying synthetic is superior in every way is a bit over the top.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Yes, I should have said ethnic slur. Same difference.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

I read somewhere that there are at least some engineers in Detroit who believe that with today's better machining and metallurgy, the traditional break-in period is essentially not needed. Apparently, some engineers in Germany feel the same way as they also ship new cars with Mobil 1. Either that, or they are doing some break-in time on the engines before they are delivered to the customer.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

What you say may be true, but I was not referring to any break-in issue. What I was referring to was studies done some years ago on long term (fleet IIRC) use of synthetics - what was discovered was that there was a definite piston scuffing phenomenon that did not typically occur with conventional motor oils, and it was found that a blend had a synergisitc effect of eliminating or greatly reducing that problem without greatly compromising the benefits of synthetics.

Now, it also may be that the manufacturers of the synthetics have solved that problem with process or formulation changes over the years. If I were to use synthetic, I would make my own blend - maybe 2 non-synth to

3 synth (or possibly 1-to-4) because, with the suspicious lack of info. from the manufacturers on their blended products, and knowing how business operates, I do not trust them to not provide a 95-to-5 blend (i.e., just enough to legally call it a "blend") and charge a 25-to-75 price (i.e., perception/hype/what-the-customer-doesn't-know-won't-hurt-them vs. real value) as a real profit niche.

Bill Putney

If this was a fleet test, then likely these were also diesel engines. Not sure that would make a difference, but it might. Let me know if you find the study again as I'd be curious to see the details.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting