Opinion on 1991 Eagle Talon STD

I need your opinions on the 1991 Eagle Talon STD. The mileage on this car is

66K and is listed as very good shape. Is this car a reliable one? The asking price is almost $2,000, which is kind of high. I am more concerned about the car's reliability record. Thanks!
Reply to
Vosnos

Ask in alt.autos.mitsubishi It is an Eclipse. I have a 1994 non-turbo and my wife loves it - it's not gutsy but it drives and looks very nice. Problem is I've had it 2 years and don't get to work on it since nothing has gone wrong (over 110,000 miles). Just changed the tires, oil and filter.

Reply to
Lurker

Be careful with these cars. I had a 1991 Laser (same as Talon and Eclipse). I loved that car, and put over 120k miles on it. The problem was with the engine. The DOHC engine packs a lot of crap into a tiny area. I'd always heard that you had to watch the timing belt closely, because if it ever breaks, the dual cams can get outta whack and bend your valves. So I made sure the timing belt was always in good shapen. Well, what I didn't know was that ANY of the belts breaking can do the same thing. My A/C belt broke, wrapped itself around the crankshaft, threw the timing belt off by a couple of teeth, and bent 8 of my 16 valves. About two thousand dollars damage that little $7 belt caused. The real aggrivation was that I'd just bought a replacement car and was trying to sell this one. So I had to dump a lot of money into it just to get it out of my driveway.

Sporty and very attractive cars, but I wouldn't own another one just because of the engine frailty.

--My $0.02--

Reply to
Bob Jackson