1990 Miata - What's a "fair" price?

Just looked at a 1990 white Miata, 49K original miles, 2nd owner. 60K service has been done. New Panasport rims and Kuhmo tires (16"). Hella lamps, shock tower brace, front and rear underbody suspension stiffeners. New battery (the right kind). White guage faces with blue/green adjustable backlighting and a new rear view mirror with courtesy/map lights. The car truly looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. I looked at the body long and hard, and could not find one rock chip, nick or dent (not even on the hood). The underside is clean as well (no evidence of leaks or structural rust). The lights come up quickly and evenly. The interior is mint, and the seat side bolsters are unworn. It runs like a champ (as it should considering it only has 49Kon it). I spent a bit of time going over it with the miata.net checklist in front of me and everything looks good. It was originally owned by a retired couple who put 40K on it in 11 years, and is now owned by a 40 something couple who only drive it on nice weekends, and almost always with the top down. They've put 10K on it in almost 5 years. It appears to be a real cream puff, and looks terrific.

Okay, I know about the potential crankshaft issue on the 1990 model. This car has a new timing belt, but they did not remove the pulley. I could feel no play in the pulley, and it spins true when running (no wobble). The car is in the Chicago area, but clearly hasn't been driven in bad weather (I'm not too sure it's even been driven in the rain much). What do you think a fair price is, given it's mileage and condition? I know what the KBB and Edmund's estimates are, but I can tell you that I have seen NOTHING that I'd consider buying in this market for anywhere near those prices, so I expect to pay more than that to get a clean, solid car. Your advice/opinion is appreciated!

Reply to
Tom

"Tom" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

The KBB gives the price for a car in exactly the condition you describe, look under "Excellent".

A fair price would be the KBB price. The rims, tires, etc. add ons are worth nothing.

Reply to
XS11E

I understand how to read the KBB and Edmunds pricing guide, but I can also tell you that there is no way in hell I'm going to find a car in this shape, or in half this shape, in this market for anywhere near $2500-$3000. I've been looking at these for a while now, and not only are there NO Miatas listed at this price level, the asking prices for even the ones with high mileage (>100K) and in so-so shape are much higher than this. Trust me, I'd love to find this car for under $3K, but it's just not realistic. I'd go so far as to say that you couldn't even find it on E-Bay (and I've been lurking), and I wouldn't even consider going that route. I apprieciate a hard line on sticking to the blue book value, but market reality has to figure in the equation somewhere. Any other opinions on this??

Reply to
Tom

"Tom" wrote in news:1146664365.899650.280770 @i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I think that when you look at cars that are 15+ years old, the book values start to become a bit worthless for the buyer. With only rare exceptions, no one is gonna sell a low-mileage, mint vehicle for $2k. You can present the seller w/ a copy of edmunds fair price and try to get them to come down a bit, but as you've stated yourself, you're not gonna find a similar car in similar condition for lots cheaper. Do you expect to keep this vehicle for a long time? I've had my 94 since 97 and expect to keep it till it don't go no more. If that's your outlook and you're not concerned about what you may be able to sell it for down the road, then the car is basically worth what YOU think it is.

It comes down to what you want. Are you looking specificially for a '90, for a 1.6l ('90-'93), or just a sub-$X Miata? If you really like the

1.6l, then there's added value for YOU. If you're just trying to find the best deal on a low-mileage, good-condition Miata, then you might be better off waiting for a deal on a somewhat newer model. Having not researched it, I would expect you could find a 94-97 in simiar condition for under $9k.

Do you like the aftermarket bits on that car.. while they don't add any real market value, do they add value for you? If you really want the car and are just trying to justify paying above "market" for it, take the book value, and add what you think all the "upgrades" are worth to YOU. Does that bring it close enough to the asking price?

I probably paid more than I should've for mine, but I've had it for almost 9 years and 125k mi (in addition to the 45k it had when I got it). Lets say I should've gotten mine for $1250 less than I paid.. that's an overpayment of just 1 penny per mile and shrinking :)

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

From time to time I think about selling my '91, which has less than 30K on it and is probably in better condition than the one you describe. It is not for sale but when I think about selling it I always come down to two things: If I ever decided I wanted another sports car (a new one) I would have to spend more than 20K. Also, I have checked prices on Miatas for many years and concluded that I would be lucky to get 6K for my Miata, even in the condition it is in.

I d> I understand how to read the KBB and Edmunds pricing guide, but I can

Reply to
Scott

Good advice, and more in line with my train of thought. I am NOT entering into this with the idea of selling the car anytime soon. And, the upgrades that have been made are very much to my liking. The seller is no doubt asking way too much ($7800), and I've already given him my position on that so I have no doubt he expects me to make a lower offer. In fact, when I asked how he came up with the number, he said (and this is no lie) "that's what my kitchen cabinets cost" (the reason he's selling is to pay for his kitchen remodel)! I'm thinking I shoot for getting the car somwhere close to $6K, which I could live with. From what I've seen, and I've been watching this market carefully for a while now, any early model Miata in decent shape with less than 100K miles is going for >$4500 ... and quite often in the $5K-$7K range. So, unless I'm willing to fly in/drive out (with it's added expense), while buying a car sight unseen, I'm pretty much a slave to the market. Pretty good rationalization, eh??!!!

Reply to
Tom

Tom,

I think you're right on the mark. A first year miata in that kind of shape is nothing short of rare. I think if you decide $6k is your ceiling, just go armed with good info. You're being more than reasonable and if he won't or can't at least be reasonable, go back to looking. The search is part of the fun but this sounds like an awesome car. Some of the White ones had paint shedding problems, could be that he's recently had this repainted. Have you pushed him on that? Of course, if it looks that good and was done properly, I'd think it better than original as the original paint might at any time decide to start leaping off the car.

Good luck and let us know! Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

It's definitely original paint. I crawled all over (and under) that car, and could see no signs of a repaint at all. And if I'm wrong, the repaint is so good that I don't mind that it was done! Thanks for the input, and I'll definiely let you know whether I'm successful or not. I plan to make him an offer today.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

It is the speed. It was only really solved when Mazda retreated from brilliant white to plain white.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

So THAT'S why they shed their paint!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

"Chris D'Agnolo" wrote in news:edc73$44593057$97d5b40e$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Exactly, my 1993 white Jeep Grand Cherokee is also shedding the paint. It's due to the speed and, to a lesser part, to the fact that the EPA demanded a reformulation of paint around 198? or so and many cars of that vintage shed their paint because it took a couple of years for the manufacturers to figure how to get the new paint to stick to the primer.

Notice the article mentions Ford as also having peeling problems so that covers the Miata (as well as Aston Martins, Jaguars, Land Rovers, Lincolns, Mazdas, Mercurys, Volvos and any other Fords I forgot to mention... they probably all bought paint from the same supplier.

Reply to
XS11E

A fair price is the one which makes both the buyer and the seller happy. KBB and other guidelines are just that guidelines.

Rims, tires, etc. are always worth something. What they are worth to the seller and what they are worth to buyer can differ and can be a deal maker or not.

Reply to
Tex

Around that time, I don't believe Ford had spread it's wings (ownership) so far but I believe your point is correct.

Seems to me that white gave all the mfr's the worst problem (other than some clear coats that peeled real bad), I have seen bunches of white GM products (many many chevy p.u.'s) that had this same problem.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Reply to
Ken Barnes

IMO KBB & the other auto price guides grossly undervalue the Miata. In my area (Atlanta) you won't find a Miata for under $3000 in any condition. KBB for a Miata w/ 100K+ miles is like $1,500.

Reply to
David-n-Hope 4ever

How about the deal I got last August.

2002 Miata 30,000 Miles $8,000

California car. Hadn't been driven for a year.

OK, so it had an automatic. The Miata is one of the few cars where an automatic drives down the price instead of the other way round. But I have a handicap and can't drive a stick for long anyway.

And it's black. Not my favorite color but it is growing on me.

The 1.8L does have to work at times. On the run from LA to Vegas there are about 3 10 mile stretches where it has to drop down a gear to stay at 80 MPH on cruise.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Fraser