OT? Rust preventative.

Hi...

Interested in hearing anyone's opinion who's willing to share it.

Come from the days when everyone who could afford the difference had whitewalls, and we cleaned them with steel wool pads, ignoring the black parts.

Now we almost all have plain black, and all I've ever done is wash 'em a bit along with the rest of the car.

Neighbors sprayed theirs with tire cleaner, made them blacker, a bit shiny, and looked good, so I tried it. Once, last spring.

Since then I've gone less than 1000 miles, but exposed them to the blazing heat of a prairie summer, rain, freezing rain, snow, and temperatures so cold you could easily freeze an egg on the sidewalk. Drove on city streets, paved highways, gravel roads, through grass, and even got a bit stuck in sand in the country. They've seen sand and salt on our city streets now in the winter.

Temperature got almost up to the freezing point yesterday so I stopped at a do it yourself spray wash, and washed a bit of the salt off, and was astonished that the tires and even the over-sprayed part of the wheels are still hydrophobic!

All a very long and boring story leading up to the question - would this stuff not make a terrific rust protection coating? Thinking of the undercarriage, the rocker panels, bottom edge of doors, etc? So inexpensive, so easy to apply...

Appreciate any opinions or advice; thanks in advance.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel