OT: v-belt expert here?

Hi...

Off topic I know, so I apologize in advance.

Snow blower uses a v-belt to couple the engine output to the next pulley. Don't know what it's called, but the clutch action is a spring loaded idler being released to apply pressure to the back of the belt at the mid-point.

Always, till now, had incredible power. Running into little bumps (an un-even paving block) I'd hear the exhaust noise change and the only slippage would be the chain'ed wheels slipping.

Then one day tried to blow the neighbors dog chain. Blower instantly lost, belt went up in smoke in a couple of seconds.

Replaced it with my spare, it disappeared within minutes, seems I'd also cracked the engine pulley which shredded the belt.

Original pulley was steel; couldn't find one; got an aluminum one and installed it. Original belts were 35.5 inches; couldn't find any so replaced with 35 inches and adjusted the motor position to compensate.

Now power isn't nearly what it was (will slip when it hits an paving block) and the belts don't last worth a darn.

So - the belts I've got now are the generic ones from cdn tire, about 5 bucks each. Are there any better? Would gladly pay more for better.

Or is the aluminum pulley at fault, do I need to find another steel one?

Appreciate advice, and again sorry for the off topic.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I believe there are specific belts *made* to be used as clutches. At least there were for the JD lawn tractors I've had. Normal belts never last worth a hoot in that sort of use, but the ones designed for it seem to hold up great. Can you find a dealer for the brand of snow-blower? They should have the correct belt. If not, find a dealer for things like lawn tractors and tillers, and tell them what you're trying for.

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Reply to
Steve