Plym Voyager transmission

I have a 93 voyager with transmissions issues. It is pouring fluid from around the pan about as fast as I can pour it in. I need to replace the gasket myself as I can't afford to pay a repair bill. I need step-by-step directions & any other tips that would be helpful as well.

Reply to
sassyann

Pan gasket is a breeze as nothing restricts access. Make sure it is what is leaking beforehand as most times the silicone-based RTV does not leak. Be careful removing the bolts and do not remove them all the way since when you break the seal and drop the pan (this can require a small blade to pry from a corner - do not bend the pan) the fluid will pour out (have a pan underneath to gather the used fluid). Drop a corner and tilt the pan to pour off as much as you can, then remove all the bolts, remove the pan and scrape the gasket off completely from both the trans case and the pan.

Remove and replace the filter and O-ring while you are in there (bolt torque is 5Nm (40 inch pounds). I use brake cleaner and a rag to fully clean the inside of the pan. Also remove and clean the magnet too before putting it back in there to gather metal filings.

You can use RTV again, or do as I do and purchase the re-useable silicone/metal gasket from the dealer. Align all the bolt holes and re-assemble. Torque of the pan bolts is 19Nm (165 in pounds).

Refill with new ATF+3 or +4 fluid replacing the same amount you drained (assumes it was at correct level). Then run engine at idle for several minutes and move gear selector between gears with brakes applied and then recheck the fluid level. Should be about 1/4 inch from full to allow room for expansion when hot. You can recheck properly at operating temperature later.

Hope this helps. Good luck and post the outcome.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

You're in luck; they didn't use a gasket, so you don't have to pay for that.

I don't like long posts, so I'll make this short. Here's the trick: When you put the pan back on, with silicone sealer, just walk away. Go eat supper. Sleep all night. Give it 24 hours. Then, and only then, you can put transmission fluid in it. You'll amazed at how well this works.

Reply to
Joe