PT Cruiser timing belt replacement?

Whats a typical cost for a shop to replace the timing belt on the 2.4L? I understand its quite a bit higher for folks with the Turbo PT's.

Reply to
miles

Some shops offer different pricing for the job, some charge more for parts than others, some have higher labor rates than others. Best to do is call around , get some rough quotes from area shops.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

My local mechanics, who are awesome, by the way-quoted me $300 for the labor, if I got all the parts. right at $250 for the parts.

I highly recommend you do the water pump and timing belt tensioner at the same time, if there is 90K plus on your PT. It is now my understanding that the water pump/tensioner is behind the TB, so get it done at the same time.

I would recommend replacing the tensioner as well-this is a bearing operated part, and again-you don't want to tear down the motor a second time, if the bearing goes bad and needs to be replaced later on down the road.

If you have a good mechanic-they will tell you the motor mount has to be loosened in order to replace the belt. no lie.

total price tag for parts and labor cost me $550.00. If I would have taken it to the dealership-I'm sure it would have been a whole lot more, and would have charged seperate for each job. (belt, tensioner, and water pump). NAPA carries all the parts in stock.

Hope this helps, and next major job for me will be the struts/shocks!

Any Chrysler Techs in here, feel free to back me up on this one!

Reply to
pe2

Here, Here. I can attest to this. I changed mine. It was a bear. Yes change the tensioner! They redesigned it. I removed mine at 60k, and the bearings were stiff and wobbly. The TB drives the Water Pump, so since it is all apart, change it. And no, you don't have to loosen the motor mounts, you have to remove them to do the job. I had to replace the lower, since the rubber had a tear in it. If you are faint of heart, or like to walk over hot coals, I wouldn't recommend doing the job yourself. It was an experience, but well worth it.

Reply to
TransistorQ1

I believe that the timing belt covers also have to be replaced in order to accomodate the new tensioner. The new tensioner went into production starting with the 2003 model year.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson