Question About ATF+4 and My 1987 T & C

I've been reading old posts about ATF+4, and wondered if it's necessary for me to use it in my '87 LeBaron Town & Country wagon? I'm planning a filter and fluid change soon, so any insights would be welcome! Thanks.

Lee

Reply to
Mumbato

No, ATF+4 is not necessary in an 87.

Current generation Dexron is fine.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

No, it's not necessary. It works very well in the older transmissions (I use it even as far back as in my '62 Dodge) but it's not necessary.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Best BY FAR in the 3-speeds is Type F!

Rick

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, it was written:

I emphatically do not share your opinion.

Neither does any Chrysler Corp. trans engineer I've ever spoken to.

Not in my trans, thanks -- ever.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Richard Ehrenberg

Did you not see that this is a Chrysler group, not a Ford group?

Or do you run a transmission shop and this is your way to drum up business?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Type F was exclusive to Fords?

Yeah, in his spare time.... ;-)

Reply to
Neil Nelson

And a (very) few imports. Ford quit speccing it in the very early '80s, and it is growing harder to find as the vehicles calling for it are retired from daily service. Type F fluid has not evolved or been developed

*at all* since the late '70s, so the notion is laughable that it's "Best BY FAR!" in anything not specifically requiring its use.

Mr. Ehrenberg apparently buys into the notion that simply because Type-F is a friction-UNmodified fluid that causes bang-screech shifts, it's "Best BY FAR!". I suppose that might be true if you want to screech the tires while trying for shorter 1/4-mile times (yawn), but most of us like our transmissions to last.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Agree 100%, I was just curious as to why Matt felt this post was better suited to a Ford group since Type F fluid is not exclusive to Ford transmissions.

He's entitled to his opinion.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I never said it was exclusive to Fords, but I don't know of ANY Chrysler product that spec'd it, so I don't think the recommendation to use it is appropriate to this group.

Well, firm shifts WILL make the clutches last longer typically, but other parts may not fair as well.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Nor did I say that you did...

So, we should shun all comments about using something other than what the factory 'spec'd" as OE? Does that include headlights? Tires? Shock absorbers? Fog lamps?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Because it was a stupid comment containing very bad advice.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I have not seen Type F recommended for CC transmissions - at least not in the FWD vans from the 1980s.

Ken

"Richard Ehrenberg

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hmmm... we must have seen different posts. In the one I read, he pointed out that this is not a Ford newsgroup, and asked whether Ehrenberg had a transmission shop he was trying to drum up business for.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Joe, you must keep in mind who you are replying to here. DS has a hard time following along sometimes.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Apparently you didn't see different posts...

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Type F has a higher coefficient of friction that the old originial AQ-ATF or

1st-gen Dexron. Reduces slippage, firms shifts, extends life. The expensive "race" ATF is the same stuff. 'Been using Type F for 35 years in all Chrysler 3-speeds (and 3-speed based ODs) (904, 727, 518, 413, 500, etc.) since a Chrysler Engineer let me in on the secret. My recommendation stands. I've NEVER blown a tranny despite high power levels, high mileage, high RPM and generally abusive driving.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg