Question About ATF+4 and My 1987 T & C

I stand behind my recommendation, see above...

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg

You know it and I know it, but there are some here who will disbelieve anything that wasn't told to them by their professor in college.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, it was written:

Yes, or any subsequent Dexron. No dispute. But coefficient of friction is only *one of many* performance characteristic of automatic transmission fluid, and the rest of the specs of Type F are substantially inferior to current-formulation fluids.

'Zat so? What about the one in the Duster that lost 3rd gear in Michigan during One Lap?

And even if it *were* true, remember that correlation doesn't imply causation. The Chrysler 3-speeds are bulletproof despite improper fluid fills.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Are you providing indemnification against AT failure to anyone following your advice?

"Richard Ehrenberg @hvc.rr.com>" I stand behind my recommendation, see above...

transmissions

Reply to
Art

No, Art, he's not. You see, he assumes -- like most people capable of thinking clearly would -- that everyone is ultimately responsible for their own actions, choices and decisions. He might as well recommend you urinate into the dipstick tube, because it wouldn't make one iota of difference as to who the blame would fall upon when the transmission fails. You see, Art, it's assumed that the folks posting to this group can think for themselves, and are either here to a.) get a little insight/direction on resolving their car problems b.) discuss the joys (or the sadnesses) of owning/driving Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Eagle-branded vehicles or c.) offer advice to others. Occasionally we get off-topic; that's okay, it's Usenet. But you're never, ever allowed to check your brain at the door before you enter here and use that as an excuse for a subsequent misadventure. And you're never, ever going to successfully put the financial responsibility on someone else here for your own stupidity, even if they gave you bad advice. Sorry.

So I recommend you go back to your attempt to figure out how to program your lawyer's number into your cellphone's speed-dial list, and shut up with the stupid, half-baked crap already.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Gariepy

That failure was simply a snap ring on a servo, improperly installed. Was fixed in 10 minutes once we had time to drop the pan! It did NOT blow up. It just would not upshift to third - it did NOT slip. In fact, after I converted that car to an A-518, I gave the 727 to a guy who is still using it, unmodified and unrepaired, in a 360 B-van. As I recall it was dead stock exept for a B&M Transpak, never rebuilt. But that's a long time ago!

The biggest advance in tranny fluid in recent years is LIFE. (The fluid, not the tranny!) Yes, if you only want to change the fluid every 10/100K, go with the recommended stuff. Which is also what I would advise on A-604s (or newer spinoffs an "multispeed) units), Jeep Jap trannys, and ZFs. But on the

3-speeds, and even the A-500 and 518, Type F is the plan for any kind of performance driving. And, no, if you're tranny blows up, don't ask me to fix it (unless you come with lots of $$$). But if it does expire, it won't be the F that did the deed - in fact, in all likelyhood, it will have put off that fatal day.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, it was written:

That's one advancement in trans fluid in recent years, but it's certainly not the only one, and the engineers who actually, y'know, *make* the advancements happen, and who write the SAE papers on transmission fluid advancements -- from DaimlerChrysler and all the other knowledgeable parties -- seem to disagree with you that trans fluid life is "the biggest advance".

I disagree with you, but that's fine. I also think it's dumb to use Champion spark plugs and Fram oil filters and Bosch O2 sensors, but many people do so with fine results.

It's "your", not "you're". You edit a magazine; you know that.

I've still seen no evidence to support this opinion -- just assertions stacked on top of assertions stacked on top of uncontrolled anecdotal reports. Until there's some hard evidence, I continue to think Type-F in a Torqueflite is a poor idea.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Wow, I'm surprised someone who cannot recognize humor knows what the work indemnification means.

Reply to
Art

Whoa! What's wrong with Champion plugs? Which are better?

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

And I'm surprised that somebody with your level of brain function can muster up enough synapses to *type*, let alone come up with the word indemnification.

In order for humor to be recognized, it first has to exist. If you thought you were being funny, you were the only one.

By the way, the one you were trying to type was 'word', not 'work'.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Gariepy

Wow this genius thinks he speaks for the whole world. Do me a favor. If you can figure out how to use your newsreader properly, please filter out my posts.

Reply to
Art

I'm not going to help re-start the plug wars.

I have had Champion spark plugs fail (simply quit sparking) too early, too often, too many times. Therefore, I no longer use them. I used Autolites very happily for many years, but just recently have had excellent results with NGK.

My Bosch spark plug experience matches my Bosch O2 sensor experience matches my Champion spark plug experience.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern