Ran out of gas in Fuel Injected '85 Dodge Charger (Shelby)

This morning i went out to start my car but found myself out of gas. I put in a few gallons of gas and tried to start it again. The engine would start for a second and then shut off.... any ideas of what i should do to get it running again?

-Greg

Reply to
gregmhand

just turn the key on and off every 3 sec until the pump supplies fuel to the injectors and then it will start

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I have read from other forums that it is possible to hurt the fuel pump by trying to start the car repeatedly is this something i should be worried about? Also, is it possible that there is some sort of reset switch that i need to flip for the brain?

-Greg

Reply to
gregmhand

Do what Glen said and you'll be OK. The pump runs for only a second or so when you turn the key on if it doesn't see pressure build. By turning it on and off a few times, it fills the rail with those one second pulses and pressurizes so it will start.

Bill Putney

...Glenn...

Bill Putney

Thanks for your help it took five or so attempts to start the car, but i started it in three second intervals like you said and its running good now!

-Greg

Reply to
gregmhand

I knew you could do it!!