Re: Fuel Mileage Checking Oversights

Most filling station gas pumps underregister the gallons to avoid code

> enforcement fines. Therefore calibrate the gas pump by pumping gas into a > known calibrated container. This error will falsely increase your > calculated mileage. > > Most odometers are wrong. Calibrate that against road markers. An > overregistering odometer like mine will also false increase calculated > mileage. >

Odometer inaccuracy is a serious problem and very common, far more than people realize. The automakers have a vested interest in making odometers read a few percent high with all the leasing that is done and the mileage warranties. See the following rather interesting discussion:

Road surface conditions, water or snow on roadway, load in car, winds, > grades are variables which affect mileage. > > Less critical is temperature and atmospheric pressure, and altitude. > > Tire pressure is often overlooked. >

Tire size is more important.

The professional mileage contestants pump up their tires to about 60 psi > for optimum mileage. They don't care if the tires blow out. Its the > mileage that counts, dude. > > Some of you guys out there think you're getting 35 mpg from your Imperial, > but you aren't because all of the above confuse the issue. >

You forgot winterized fuel with a higher alcohol content, thus lower power from it, mileage on these blends is worse.

It should be noted, however, that MPG rates are most useful in comparing PAST mileage with CURRENT mileage, as a decrease in mpg indicates engine trouble. SO most of these factors are equalized out. mpg only becomes significant when comparing it to other vehicles or against the federal tested mpg.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I thought summer gas had lower fuel efficiency due to the additives used to reduce vapor emissions having lower energy content than gasoline. Fortunately the stations local to me don't use any alcohol, although I don't know how much longer that will continue. I agree EPA mileage figures aren't accurate, but I usually can do better than the claimed mileage. Since mileage can change a lot just due to driving style and type of roads driven, it's probably not reasonable to boil it down to one number fits all--except for comparison only.

Reply to
Greg Houston