Steering gear overhaul Durango 99

There is excessive play in the steering gear. Tightening up adjustments help a little, but it still remains. New (actually remanufactured) gear costs around 300$ if I ship it from States; local dealer cost is ~700$ plus labour. However, I can get it overhauled for about 180$ including removal/reinstallation - much cheaper. Any experience with steering gear overhauls - how easy it is, what is expected service life before it goes again etc?

To rule out other steering issues I've replaced upper & lower ball joints, tie rods, pitman arm and shocks - all of these were in need of replacement anyway.

TIA, Peter

Reply to
Peter