Rear hub overheating on 95 Cirrus

My right rear brake pads suddenly rapidly disintegrated last week. They began dragging against the drum even when the brakes weren't applied.

So, I replaced brakes, drums and springs. I then discovered that the rear right wheel was really hot compared to the left the next day after driving.

I thought it must be the bearing, so I replaced the hub/bearing assembly, but the problem is still happening.

There is obviously some friction causing this overheating, but I don't know what else it could be? The manual recommended replacing the retaining nut when replacing the hub, but no auto parts stores around me carry them. Could this be causing my problem? Any other culprits to look at?

Thanks for any advice,

-Scott

Reply to
Scott

possibly sticky caliper? Perhaps rust got in there?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Well, if the rear brakes are "drums", then the "shoes" are too tight. If "disc" then the caliper may be sticking as mentioned by another post.

"Pads" go on disc brakes with "rotors". Shoes" go into "drum" brakes. From your post, you've used one from each type so I can't tell which kind of brakes you have.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Hodgson