Rear suspension problem on minivan

Anyone have information on how to beef up the rear suspension on a Dodge minivan for trailer towing. My problem is with van fully loaded the Hitch rides too low and every dip creates contact with pavement. Trailer is quite light, but could run up to a thousand lbs of cargo in the future.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Load lever hitch. Be aware that the limits on the tongue weight and total weight of the package don't change.

Transmission cooler and temp gage is a wise investment

NotMe

Load leveler.

That doesn't do much good when you have 6 people in the vehicle and no trailer. The receiver will hit pavement over every driveway. The van already has the factory trailer package. But the single leaf spring is a damned joke and the same as for the non trailer package.

Be aware that the limits on the tongue weight and total

Taken into consideration.

Thanks for trying though.

PaxPerPoten

Six people in a mini van and you're so close to the load limit that would preclude any useful cargo in a trailer.

Reply to
NotMe

Sooo? It still makes the Hitch drag without a trailer. I need to resolve that problem or replace the van with something heavier. I prefer the Minivan though.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

that's usually what kills caravan transmissions

Reply to
Rob

Sell the van and get something load appropriate or wait until the transmission dies THEN get something load appropriate.

Pick one ... the result is the same.

Reply to
NotMe

Look into adding an air lift suspension kit in the rear. I installed one on my old 1991 Grand Voyager years ago when I used it for delivery carrying heavy loads. I carried a bicycle pump with me to pump up the airbags when needed. Don't scrimp on price, buy the beefiest system you can find for long term reliability.

Reply to
SRN

Chrysler used to upgrade the minivans in Colorado with the "high altitude package" when customers had issues. they had a bigger radiator, trans cooler and two upgraded and larger cooling fans.

that might help your trans but these were heavy duty transmissions to begin with. Also keep in mind the vehicle needs to be 1.5 times heavier than the towed load to make sure the load doesn't start fishtailing.

your rear suspension choices might be limited on whether or not you have 3rd row 'sto n go"

Reply to
Rob

sorry should say NOT a heavy duty trans

Reply to
Rob

I have all of that.. I have a suspension problem. Nothing else.

The Trailer package handled all of that. A load leveler will handle any trailer problem. I am attempting to resolve the dragging rear end when the van is full of passengers... Without the lightweight trailer.

Yep...

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

That is a good thought.