rough running 2004

Hi,

2004 Sebring Convert. 4,000 miles on it. Whenever the car is not driven for a few days (two or three) it runs very rough, engine skips sputters for a few minutes. This has happened a number of times, and NOT on the same tank of gas. My other cars (Subaru, Honda, Pontiac) can be left for 7 to 10 days like in an airport parking lot and they just start up with no problem. Any ideas???

Fred

Reply to
Fredisg

Fuel system not holding pressure is a possibility. Bad fuel pump or related issue. Needs a visit to dealer. Was your area getting tons of rain? Could be ignition issue. By the way if you have the 2.7 engine be sure to get oil and filter changes at least every 3000 miles. It needs good oil or sludges up and keep your receipts as proof of maintenence.

Reply to
Art

Isn't. He said it runs roughly for *several minutes* upon startup after sitting for an extended period. Loss of fuel system pressure causes extended crank time before fireup, but not several minutes of rough running.

In any event, as a 2004, it's gotta be under warranty.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Mine does the same thing ('04 'vert w/28k miles). Please let us know what you find out. My Saturns used to do the same thing after they sat for a week or so. I just assumed that condensation built up and it took a few minutes to burn off/evaporate.

Reply to
Bryan

Yes that bothered me and that is why I also suggested the ignition system and a trip to the dealer.

Reply to
Art

  1. Moisture
  2. Something draining your battery and causing things to operate on the hairy edge until the alternator juices the battery for a while and restores things. Marginal battery voltage can cause all kinds of very strange symptoms. I had this on a Ford I once owned (don't ask!). Most ECU's have a monitor that will shut things down, or refuse to start the car if battery voltage is not within spec however when it is real close things are unpredictable.

You might try measuring battery voltage before you start the car and after the car has sat for a couple of days.

Reply to
Charlie