Scary scenerio?

Someone wrote: "In which case the US will have to seriously reduce its appetite for gasoline and we will be happy that we did not waste money building those refineries you want."

Its not just the gasoline consumption but our consumption for everything. Medicine, plastic, packaging, and other commodities including clothing all come from a barrel of crude. Some products such as clothing can be produced from other means (cotton) but most is produced by sythenthic means.

The supply of oil and its use will never cease until the source is gone unless we learn to use alternative energy sources. We must change our daily living habits. We have to learn to reduce and recycle as much as possible.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

Bill Putney wrote in news:d2ouge$hnu$ snipped-for-privacy@news.isdn.net:

Have you not heard the Enron tapes which validate the energy crisis in California was a completely manipulated scam by Enron and other energy companies. There was some contributing factors by politicians, who had their palms greased with money, and the we don't need any regulation zealots who allowed this to happen. You argument that other factors had anything to do with this scam is totally bogus. Kinda like the weapons of mass destructian intelligence confirmations.

Reply to
tango

"Sarge" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com:

My answer to you usual, it's the environmental laws is simple, BULLSHIT!!! If it were in the financial interest of the Oil companies to increase refining capacity, which it is not, as they could not shut down a refinery and cause a shortage and immediately raise prices and increase their bottom line, new refinaries could be built much faster than most people believe. Large corporations have spent millions on advertising their anti- environmental propaganda the last 20 years and it has been a good investment, as most people believe whatever their favorite media person or talk show personality spews, and they are great at repeating it like trained Parrots. That doesn't mean there have not been cases where outrageous decisions have been made in some cases but we are far better overall as a result of environmental laws which have saved millions from lung diseases and other ailments caused by pollution. To want to correct these abuses is good, to speak like fools as many do, falsely claiming that environmental laws are responsible for Oil companies and other corporations using monopolistic tactics to gouge consumers while executives of these same corporations receive millions of dollars in salary is pathetic.

Reply to
tango

"Sarge" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com:

I don't know if you were around in the seventies but I was living in N.Y. and people were trading Cadillacs for small tin cans they would have never been seen in except for the Oil Crisis. The lesson learned lasted about 3 or 4 years. People who are so dumb as to shop and ask only what are the payments, aren't going to conform to any restraints voluntarily until the situation becomes critical. The only real possible solution is to develop new energy sources and power plants {not power generating plants for you pinheads} and distribution systems which will take 20 years if an all out effort is undertaken. Unfortunately the oil producing countries will easily figure out a way to undermine or bribe governments to keep this from happening. By the way, I am amused by people who don't give any credit to global warming, but believe we will run out of Oil in the near future. As PT Barnum said, there's one born every minute.

Reply to
tango

So you're saying that Enron paid politicians to pass legislation forbidding capacity increases in CA, and that that was not done and enabled by and for the environuts and their appeasement?

Bill Putney

Bill Putney wrote in news:d2r3kl$lsa$ snipped-for-privacy@news.isdn.net:

I said clearly the de regulation was passed by bribing politicians with political contributions and the zealots who believe all regulations are evil also played a role in allowing this fraud to happen. This legislation removed regulation of Power Utilities by the state. I know of no restriction legislation on generating capacity being passed. Do you have a reference for this legislative bill which was passed limiting capacity. There was plenty of capacity to avoid the debacle manipulated by Enron. The power was being sold out of state along with ordering shut downs for maintenance which wasn't necessary. You didn't answer the question, have you not heard the Enron tapes with managers laughing about sending power out of state to cause blackouts and ordering management to take generators off line for maintenance which was not needed to cause power shortages. You are making excuses for people who are on audio ordering these things done. Do you not watch TV at all, these tapes have been played many times the last 6 months. I believe several have pleaded guilty to various charges related to fraud.

Reply to
tango