Shafted on repair charge??

My neighbor to his car (not a Chrysler product) to a shop for a coolant leak. It was diagnosed as a bad water pump. He had it consented to the repair and also agreed to their suggestion of also replacing the belt while they were at it. His bill indicated labor charges for:

2 hours to replace the pump. 1 hour to replace the belt. Why would there be an additional charge to put a new belt on? If he had told them to put the old belt back on, there would have been no charge to do it, it would have been part of the waterpump replacement charge.
Reply to
TomKan

Since we have no idea what kind of vehicle it is how can we answer that question??? There are some vehicles out there that the timing belt drives the water pump and the pump is easily removed, But the belt may require that you have to pull the harmonic balancer/pulley. If that is the case the radiator may have to be removed to access it , possibly the condenser and so on!!!

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

But if they are going off book, then the hours for the water pump should include the time it takes to pull and replace the belt. Also note they said to "replace the belt WHILE they were at it"

I would tell your neighbor to start by assuming it is a simple mistake in the bill, and take the bill back to the garage and explain this and see what they do. If they tell him that they just broke out the time for the belt replacement, and show him a book time of 3 hours for a water pump replacement, then so be it. But it's quite possible that some front office girl who doesen't know a water pump from a washing machine setup the bill, and assumed that they were two separate jobs.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I replaced a water pump on a 3.5 intrepid this week, the owner had the belt replaced last year, the pump was just seeping (after market) I charged the guy 2 hrs to remove and install the pump, the dealer gets 4hrs to do the pump and belt. I guess I was just thinking that I could have confused the guy the same way this OP was

But your right about the part where he agreed to do the belt, and yes, they should have just told the guy 3 hrs to do the job make it easier to understand

Reply to
maxpower