Spark Plug R&R on PT Cruiser

Bosh makes good plugs. They pretty much invented the plat plug back in the

60's [a very expensive multi point plug for exotic vehicles]. Their single tipped plat plug is a decent low cost item. Their double, triple and quad plat plugs are pure marketing krap; intended to sell plugs to the technically ignorant. Instead they should have marketed dual plat and other technically correct and advanced plugs such as those from Champion and several Asian vendors. Their spin has hurt their reputation badly. For Chrysler products the OEM style dual plugs are long lasting and reasonably priced.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

could'ya forward the tsb and others you have (for the pt cruiser) to my email address thanks

I am a member of many pt related forums and would share the info

Reply to
Punch

Why? Bosch (as a whole) makes some great stuff, and some real stinkers. Lately, more stinkers than great.

The hair-thin center electrode recedes below the surrounding ceramic, leaving a tiny crater that then gets fouled by any errant fleck of carbon that comes along, killing the plug.

No, because they firmly believe that their way of building a center electrode is better.

Unfortunately, yes. :-/

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for the information. I just installed the Bosch, so it will be interesting to see how long they last. I will be sure to write to the forum with the new data once it is available.

It's interesting that one person noted the single electrode was all you needed; he mentioned that the multi-electrode versions were for the technically challenged. I an an engineer with over 25 years of experience. The reason I bought the Bosch plugs is that was the only choice at my local Kragen's. I reasoned that the multi-point platinum plugs do not need any gap setting. In fact, when I looked at them, there didn't appear to be any way to gap them. Can you gap these plugs?

Thanks again,

- Russ

Reply to
Russell Lombardo

You're going to be doing the job a second time, and it's going to be in the near future...

Then you should fully understand what was stated.

That's a very good reason to do a 180 and walk out.

That's what Bosch would have you believe. There are a few things to consider; There is a definite relationship between the number of air and fuel molecules between the gaps and whether or not the mixture will be ignited. The larger the gap, the higher the load will be on the ignition secondary.

I would also point out that the four ground electrode design of the +4 plugs severely shrouds the point where the secondary arc occurs and combustion begins to take place, so; if you throw these Bosch plugs as hard as you can into a trash barrel, the gap will then be set perfectly.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yes, I have. They are running on their name and putting more money into advertising than quality control. I've thrown away more Bosch platinum plugs with less than 20,000Km on them than I can remember - and lots with less than 10,000Km. In two cases the vehicles had just been tuned up before leaving for a trip, and the engines started running like crap within 100 miles. One went from Rhode Island through florida to Texas and back to florida - stopping at every Winnebago dealer they came to - and spending close to $1000 on various repairs and diagnosis that made no difference. They stumbled into a campground ahead of me, and I offered to take a look at it. (Winni LeSharo with Renault engine). I pulled the plugs, took one look at them and said "let's get into town before the autoparts stores close". Put in a set of ACs and it ran like a charm. Got a note from them when they got back home - they decided to keep the camper, which they had sworn they would get rid of as soon as (if) it got them home.

The other one was almost an identical situation.

Had earlier put a set in my '89 Aerostar 3.0 and took them back out and returned them after they developped a miss in just a couple weeks

- and swore I'd never install another one.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

HAsn't been my experience. My experience has been the insulator/shell seal leaks, and the combustion products that leak out make a conductive path up the insulator to the HT connection. THIS shorts out the plug in short order. On virtually every one I've had a problem with - and there've been a pile of them - the insulator was brown at the base.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

mornin'

Had/have a misfire problem on an '05, particularly on throttle after overrun and very poor cold running and the dealer, Hatfields in Sheffield UK changed the plugs twice before admiting that the original spec plugs were crap and then fitting NGK's. Where does this "half an hour" job time come from (ok, I know really) I've had to leave the car for a day at least and the last time for three days while they try to change the plugs! Thing is, the problem still occurs so maybe it ain't just the plugs, has there been a firmware upgrade for the engine ecu? but we're getting sick of taking the car back to them with warranty work that it can stay as it is 'till we get rid of it.

Send me the tsb as well please if you have the time

ta

pottsy

Hi Russell,

PT with Bosch sparks? Can You tell me which model you are driving and the type of sparks? Over here in Germany I can find Bosch sparks for my 2.0 limited ...

Reply to
Hans Mücke

Hello Hans,

We have a 2001 Limited Edition PT Cruiser with the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder with

150 hp.

The spark plugs are the Bosch Platinum 2, Part No. 4314.

- Russ >

Reply to
rll

Reply to
mic canic

Hi Russ,

Ah ... ok, the 2.4 was first introduced to the german market with the turbo, I think in 2003.

Uhoh ... platinum. I remember when Bosch brought those to the market, they really failed.

Reply to
Hans Mücke