Squarish Imperial steering wheel?

Which years of imperials had this? I've seen them in the recent Automotive Quarterly and in the George Barris MM book-when did they quit?

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

jdoe

The Chrysler nameplate had them too in the 300 and the New Yorker just to name a couple. I think they were used until '63 or '64.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Circa 58/59 thru '63. All the full-size Chryslers could be had with them- in fact I spent a good deal of saturday drooling all over the most beautiful '60 300F Convertible I've ever seen at a car show and it drove there a couple hundred miles under its own (prodigious) power. Hummana hummana hummana!!!! What an INCREDIBLE automobile. Square wheel made of clear plastic, "Astradome" dash with electroluminescent lettering and everything. Woot.

Reply to
Steve

Were they an extra cost option? Are they available as a repro today?

I am drawing-not building, drawing, for wallpaper-a scaled up Locost

and one of these would be a spiffy addition! Ofcourse it has a Mopar engine-a Slant 6 with Webers. Remember the XNR?

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

On some models and years, yes. Standard on the Imperials of relevant model year, and possibly some high-end Chryslers as well.

Not to my knowledge, no, but there are steering wheel repair/restoration services.

*nod*

Yes.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern