Suspension problem with '98 Neon?

This is an odd problem, but I'll try to explain as best as I can.

About a month and a half ago, I noticed that my '98 Neon Highline Sedan started to "lean" in turns while driving on the interstate. Now I know cars are supposed to lean in turns, but the way my Neon leaned made me feel uncomfortable -- in right-hand turns, if felt like the car wanted to roll to the outside, while in left turns (especially banked ones) and on steep hills, if felt like the car wanted to roll and pitch back toward the left rear corner to an excessive degree.

I suspect a weak spring in the left rear strut assembly, but the two mechanics I took the car to couldn't find anything wrong (they each went out on test drives with me, but I suspect that their sitting in the front passenger seat during the drive masked the problem), and thus were reluctant to even commit to making a repair.

I'm taking it to a third mechanic this weekend to see if he can resolve this problem, but I'm not optimistic about my chances. But I feel that I need to get this problem fixed quickly, or I'll find myself in a world of hurt -- or worse -- when winter comes. :(

For the record, my Neon, as I mentioned, is a 1998 Highline Sedan, with

81,000 miles on the odometer. According to the FAQ at neons.org, it's equipped with the SDC Touring Suspension.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

TIA,

Reply to
Glenn Shaw

Seems like the mechanic should drive the car without you or you behind him in the back seat.

wanted

ones)

resolve

Reply to
Art Begun

I believe it would be a weak swaybar then a week spring. The spring would show even when sitting still if it is THAT weak. GOOD LUCK

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

Richard Benner Jr wrote in rec.autos.makers.chrysler:

A good thought, but my Neon doesn't have a rear sway bar -- it only has the

20mm front sway bar.

I do know that it can be retrofitted with a rear sway bar with little trouble, though.

That's my thought, too. The problem seems to show up only under dynamic load, not static load.

Thanks. :)

Reply to
Glenn Shaw