To replace Transmission '94 Caravan or scrap?

I'm just agonizing over scrapping my '94 Caravan with 209,000 kilometers.

Never had a major problem. Not so much as a muffler replacement! Body is virtually rust free. Got 90,000 kms rubber left. Engine burns little oil. Car has been impeccably maintained.

Garage wants $3,000 (gross of taxes) for new tranny installed.

Replacement would be 2001 Sport for about $20,000 Cdn.

Tough decision.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Swinden

I just went through the same thing with a '95. Mine wasn't in as good shape as yours (rust demons), so I ended up letting it go.

The price you mention to replace the trans, if I'm guessing properly at the exchange rate, is about par for the course. If the vehicle is in as good condition as you say it is, and has been well maintained overall, I'd repair the trans, and drive it for a few more years. Especially if you have a 3.3L or a 3.8L engine, which are known to be long lasting units. OTOH, if you think you might be looking at other major repairs in the not-too-distant future, if you're feeling like your luck might be running out....trade it.

As far as your 2001 Sport option is concerned, again, guessing about the exchange rate and local market conditions where you are: I just picked up an '03 for roughly the same money. I'd look around some more before getting what's basically a 4-year-old van for the same price as a 1-year-old.

Good luck,

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

On Tue, 04 May 2004 07:42:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@3web.net (Bruce Swinden) spake thusly:

If you live in Edmonton I can show you where you can get it done for $1200 installed with a 1 year 20,000 km. warranty. My mechanic says that they are a very easy transmission to work on, relatively speaking. The flat rate manual says that the complete job, from removal to rebuilding and reinstalling is 10.5 hours. ABS adds 0.4 hours. To renew driveplate, Add 0.2. To check cooler system flow, Add 0.7. To reverse flush cooler system, add 0.8. To replace torque converter, add

0.4. The 41TE 4 speed actually has fewer parts than the 31TH 3 speed due to the fact that the 41TE is totally electronically controlled. Even at a shop labour rate of $100 per hour, the basic labour would be $1050 and I refuse to believe that there are $2000 worth of parts used in a typical rebuild.
Reply to
Opus-

Thanks. Have decided to replace tranny.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Swinden

Hey Bruce, where do you live???

There is an EXCELLENT trans shop not far from me that will completely rebuild the 4 speed for $1595 CDN!

When I asked why so cheap he said that have a rebuild assembly line and have it down to a SCIENCE. They just happen to be a shop with a platinum reputation - hell they even use the proper ATF fluid! ;)

I'd be happy to pass on the info. Also if you are in my area, i can tell you who NOT to go to! :))))

hth

Reply to
Cloaked

What's tough about spending 17,000 less instead of taking maybe $300 in scrap?

Reply to
Steve

Look around and find the *best* shop you can in your area, and have the tranny repaired. How much would you be spending on payments for the newer van? $400/mo? The old van could explode in a year with the new transmission and financially you'd still be ahead. Anything more than that is added benefit. Your van still has at least 1/3 of its life left.

Reply to
Bill 2

Thanks to all.

The situation was "complicated" because because #1 wife who is primary driver decided that the idea of "rebuilt" didn't provide comfort level she wanted.

So I decided to go with factory original.

Situation was also complicated by having the breakdown occur away from home and so there were physical and communication problems. Reality is that when tranny breaks down away from home there is a whole new set of problems which do not relate to best cost.

You know the saying; "Happy wife, happy life!".

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Swinden

In my house it's "if momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!" = :-0

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Bruce,

You did not mention the tranny symptoms. Have you changed the tranny oil and filter recently? If so what kind of oil did you use?

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Chrysler dealer did transmission service a month ago. He said he used TRF3! I haven't heard yet what was wrong but it felt as though I'd hit a 2x4. It went with a huge bang as I went over an expansion joint on an elevated road.

I am wondering if my tires might have contributed. I have Sears Roadhandlers and they are harder riding than the usual.

Anyway, I'll know in a few days. I pulled my car from the dealer after waiting 4 days and getting the run around. (I had to call them continuosly to find out what was happening).

Anyway I have a lot of confidence in the Transmission shop. All the local garage managers swear by him. I see his name on local drag racing cars and he seems to know his business.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Swinden

Go to this web site for a look at tranny problems and what kind of oil to use.

Hank

Reply to
Hank