PT Cruiser-is transmission reliable?

I have a chance to purchase a loaded (everything but leather and cruise) 2001 PT Cruiser w/24,500 miles on it from a friend's widow for what I've been told is a good price. I was also told to pass on it, the trannies are crap, you'll put a lot of money into it. I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but this is the first time I had a reason to subscribe to and post in this newsgroup.

TIA for advice.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

My PT Limited has no tranny problems, also no PT that I know of has any. I belong to a local PT Cruiser club, and see between 5 and 15 other PT's, and their owners, each week. You can check the message forums at:

and I don't think you'll find any complaintsabout the transmissions, Manual or Auto. Also there are links there to manyother PT Cruiser pages, clubs, and message forums for you to research. GoodLuck!

SRG

Reply to
SRG

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

You don't say whether your PT has automatic or manual but since you say it's loaded I'll assume automatic. This is the standard 4-speed fully electronic transmission used in most Chrysler cars and minivans since 1990. There were some problems with the first few years, but since 1995 this has been a decent piece of equipment provided it is serviced according to factory recommendations.

For more info see

Dave Gower

when it came time for me to buy a new vehicle, i stayed away from the pt because of previouse tranny problems from chrysler automatics, i liked the pt so i got a standard,after 4 tranny jobs i swore never to buy a mopar auto car again :-)

Reply to
god

Reply to
mic canic

That being the case, the only problem of any frequency will be speed sensor failure (there are two per vehicle). Symptoms will be limp mode operation (2nd gear only), plus no speedo reading if it's the output sensor (vs. input sensor) that's bad.

Armed with this info., you're looking at immediate self-diagnosis and less than $20 for the part and 10 to 15 mniutes to swap it out. Without this knowledge, you're susceptible to having a shop sell you a new/rebuilt tranny either through their dishonesty or ignorance. I have sometimnes wondered if some of the earlier "complete failures" were actually a bad sensor before word got around.

Bill Putney

Reply to
jdoe

I'm on my second PT with automatic. Sold the first as the then 36K warantee was about to expire, and had absolutely no problems of ANY sort including tranny.

****************************** Got wood? Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair prices...
BREWERPAUL

And from the tone of the "Something About Reality" topic you started I wouldn't want you within ten miles of my vehicles.

Reply to
RPhillips47

In case you were asking about the manual transmission, mine has proven very reliable. I have a 2002 PT Limited with 8500 miles on it. The clutch and transmission operate smoothly. However, it does seem that the PT manual transmission lacks "flywheel." It's a "jerky" set up, mainly....because it jerks around, especially in 1st and 2nd gears. Just a small application of throttle in 1st will produce jerking motions --applying throttle requires care in those speeds. The vehicle does not exhibit that problem to that degree when fully loaded.

I bought the manual because the engine seems to me to be under powered, and I wanted the extra control that the manual provides. The vehicle has been very reliable and I have had no service issues (realizing that it only has

8500 miles on it).

Cheers!

Reply to
meteorburst

I have an auto tranny, with no problems. I believe that the manual is the same Getrag that is in my stepson's Chevy Cavalier. He pounds the sh*t out of that thing and has not had any problems thus far at about 46K. He added a short throw shifter which really feels and looks sporty.

****************************** Got wood? Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair prices...
BREWERPAUL

I have noticed that when traveling slowly in 1st or 2nd gear (at or near idle), the fuel flow is not controlled very closely. The car seems to "hunt" around an ill-defined coasting point. It feels as though the driver is pumping the excellerator pedal.

I also bought my 2002 PT with the manual transmission becasue it seemed a much better fit ( application of power and torque) that the automatic. It now has 49,000 kM with no service or performance issues.

BTW, 20,000 of those 49,000 kM were on three trips; once to Phoenix (from southern Ontario), and twice to Nova Scotia. One of the Nova Scotia trips also pulled a 10 ft. tent trailer.

Reply to
Sid Wood