trailer lighting for 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager

I need to equip my 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager to pull a small utility trailer. I have some questions regarding the brake/turn signal lights for the trailer:

1) Would my vehicle have a connector on a wiring harnass at the rear that I could plug into to make those connections or would that only be there if my car had been ordered with a towing option? (Car was purchased used, could I tell of a towing option was ordered from the VIN?)

2) If there is no previously installed connector on the vehicle is there anything to be concerned about with tapping into the existing wiring going to the rear lights? (excessive additional load, etc.?)

3) I assume there are several types of electrical connectors to mate with the trailer connector, is there a style that is most widely accepted and more broadly used than others? Is there a pin out standard to follow? (There would be no connection required for brakes.)

Thanks fo rthe insight.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

My '98 came with the towing option. There was a wiring harness, minus the connector, that was folded up under the van on the left side. near the back bumper. I think there were four wires molded together (one for the left turn signal, right turn signal, ground, and lights and brakes). I had the flasher go bad on this vehicle and the dealer had two part numbers listed for the flasher. One was more money, so I suspect it may have been a heavy duty flasher to account for the extra lighting needs of the trailer.

Reply to
gdcoxjr

Thanks for responding! I was beginning to wonder if there were any folks out there with some trailer expertise.

I'll poke around teh bumper tomorrow while it is still light out and see if I can find any loose wiring.