Transmission problems

I have a 1991 Spirit 2.5l auto 3 speed, has 275,000 kms and runs well. Lately I have been having problems with the tranny. When I come to a complete stop and then go again it feels like I have a caliper seized, the car needs quite a bit of gas to get going again. Once underway it feels like something lets go and it is ok again. I have been trying different things and have found that:

  1. If I don't come to a complete stop, it happens less often.
  2. If I let go of the brakes at a stop it feels like I am held there.
  3. If I let go of the brakes and shift up to N and back to D, there is no problem.
  4. If I hold the brakes hard and shift to N and back to D, there is no problem either.

So I think that I have ruled out the seized caliper, but don't really know what to do next. I have had the car stay in first gear for a while when cold once also. I have not had the fluid changed since I got the car at

252, 000 Kms, going on the assumption that it may be bad to change the fluid at that mileage if it has never been changed before. I will change the fluid asap but will wait for feedback first. Any help will be appreciated,

Dave.

Reply to
dcollivier

seized, the

different

often.

there.

appreciated,

Possible governor stuck causing the vehicle to start off in 2nd or 3rd gear. Could you describle the feeling as being in too high a gear on takeoff? If you shift down into LOW when this problem is occuring does acceleration feel normal again?

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

How long since the trans fluid and filter were changed and the bands adjusted? If it's been a long time, that may be all you need to get going again. If you do keep on top of this and it hasn't been all that long, then it's likely that chips from a deteriorating final-drive bearing have lodged between the outer and inner members of the governor.

Common with the bearing-chips-in-governor problem. (Removing and cleaning the governor is a SHORT TERM fix, since the FD bearings will continue to send new chips there.)

WRONG. The trans fluid and filter MUST be changed periodically. Be sure to use the correct fluid, ATF+3 or ATF+4.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
dcollivier

Reply to
Marc

Yes, change the fluid and filter and use the correct ATF,,, ATF+3

Hank

Reply to
Hank

appreciated,