ticking problems

Hi! I have a 95 intrepid 3.3L v6 with 233,000 km on it. I change my oil regularly and I have one problem. It started about 3 months ago. When i turn on the car when the engne is cool everything is working fine. When i start to move and engine heats up juss a lil, at my first stop sign, when i stop i hear the engine is "knocking" or "ticking". As Irev the engine juss a lil the ticking increases i.e faster, and the more i rev the faster it ticks. My first assumption was that fuel injector cleaning might be needed. There fore i bougt pennzoil fuel injector cleaner and haven?t applied it yet. My q is... Is it worth trying to clean the fuel injection system, or is there a known cause for this problem? All your answers are appriciated, Thanx.

Reply to
intrepid95

Possibly the Timing Chain?

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Bob Shuman

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
Fuel injector cleaner is a waste, save you money. Sounds to me like you have an internal engine noise Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

"intrepid95" wrote: > Hi! I have a 95 intrepid 3.3L v6 with 233,000 km on it. I > change my oil regularly and I have one problem. It started > about 3 months ago. When i turn on the car when the engne is > cool everything is working fine. When i start to move and > engine heats up juss a lil, at my first stop sign, when i stop > i hear the engine is "knocking" or "ticking". As Irev the > engine juss a lil the ticking increases i.e faster, and the > more i rev the faster it ticks. My first assumption was that > fuel injector cleaning might be needed. There fore i bougt > pennzoil fuel injector cleaner and haven't applied it yet. My > q is... Is it worth trying to clean the fuel injection system, > or is there a known cause for this problem? All your answers > are appriciated, Thanx.

no its not an internal engine problem i listend to where the sound was its beyond the engine ... as for timing belt not chain, i doubt thats the prob bc it doesnt tick when the car is cold only when its warm...and it goes away when i drive it for longer periods.

Reply to
intrepid95

It's likely that it's just lifter noise, which isn't something to worry a= bout very much. It can become more noticeable in cold weather while the engine is still cold. Using a good = synthetic oil (e.g. Mobil 1 or Valvoline) and / or a good oil filter with decent anti-drainback valve (e= =2Eg. Purolator One) may help.

Reply to
Greg Houston

The 3.3L uses a timing chain. The 3.5L uses a timing belt. Not sure what your reference below was intended to convey, but just wanted to make sure that you know the 3.3L has a chain, not a belt. Good luck finding he source of the noise.

Bob

timing belt not chain, I > doubt thats

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
mic canic

"mic canic" wrote: > with the 3.3 there was some issues with a rocker shaft mount > breaking under the > valve cover but that ticking noise was for the most part there > all the time > unless it's starting to crack now take it in now have it > looked at. it may save > some coin for you > > Bob Shuman wrote: > > > The 3.3L uses a timing chain. The 3.5L uses a timing belt. > Not sure what > > your reference below was intended to convey, but just wanted > to make sure > > that you know the 3.3L has a chain, not a belt. Good luck > finding he source > > of the noise. > >

I have some more analysis. It starts to tick when the temp is at normal, meaning at 1/2 point. WHen the car is cold it doesnt tick. thanx for all your answers.

Reply to
intrepid95