Two oil warning lights on '84 Reliant?

I had the car parked just so the sun was shining through the rear window when I happened to notice something. There is a row of three indicator lamps between the speedometer and fuel/charge/water temp gauges. On my car they are unused--the bottom two being for "door open" and "gate open". The manual explains these well enough, stating that door open is only for commercial vehicles and gate open is for wagons.

The topmost indicator is not mentioned, but with the sun shining on it, I could clearly see that it has an icon for oil pressure in it. That makes no sense at all considering that an oil pressure indicator already exists at the far right of the cluster.

Why is there a second oil pressure warning area? Was it used in another vehicle model? Or is it just for slow learners?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Probably. Probably the stylist decided to move the pressure indicator and the bean counters decided to reuse the same dash plastic.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Because that vehicle could have been equipped with a gauge or a lite, since you have a gauge there is no lite. Your vehicle has a sending unit for a gauge

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

You have a dash with a light. But if you had an optional dash display with a gauge, there may ALSO be a light with the gauge. Even if they never shipped a gauge display dash, it may have been a design option at one time. Although it seems nowadays that a lot of dashes with gauges have the idiot lights also incorporated into the gauge.

Reply to
Mike Y