Vehicle Speed Sensor location `96 Avenger

Hello,

`96 Dodge Avenger, 2.5L V6

The Check Engine light came on, speedodometer not working and tranny doesn't get out of 2nd, so we checked the codes and it says the VSS needs to be replaced.

We were misled and replaced what was probably a good input speed sensor, which didn't solve the problem.

Went back to the dealer, bought the correct VSS this time, but can't find where to install the $&$^&*%!%&! thing.

The Haynes book we have doesn't show this particular sensor, just the input/output sensors, near the tranny range sensor.

We logged into the ALLDATADIY site and found a small diagram that seems to show this thing is on the side of the tranny housing closest to the firewall. The dealer's computer has no diagram, either.

After removing the air cleaner and hose, the battery and mounting bracket, we still can't see where this thing lives.

I can't believe this is so well hidden and difficult. Any advice or pointers will be appreciated! Time is of the essence on this, as SPring Break starts tomorrow.

You can reply to the e-mail adress to speed things up.

Thanks!!

harleyb

Reply to
Harleyb