Waht year did Chrysler fix the tranny problem????

Has Chrysler ever fixed the problem with their Voyager, Caravan transmissions? If so, what year is problem free? I love the little mini's, but do not want to get into endless transmission problems.

Thanx

Ron C. ==============================

Reply to
Dr.Pepper

I don't think any year of any vehicle can be called problem free. However, my 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager has 166,000 on the original engine (3.3L) and transmission with nothing more than normal maintenance items in the case of the transmission. The engine has required a little more work such as starter, water pump and idler pulley.

Drive the vehicle reasonably and maintain it properly and you likely won't have endless transmission problems unless you get a lemon. And lemons come from all manufacturers. The worst car I ever owned was a Honda Accord that I bought new. Finally traded it in at 80,000 or so miles for an Acclaim which was one of the best cars I ever owned.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

maintenance

I agree. If you would have monitored this NG ten years ago, you would have seen lots of postings related to transmission problems. While there are still lemons, they are not as common as they used to be. My

1993 was rebuilt by the dealer in 1995. It now has 85,000 miles on it, and still working fine.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

From what I have read... It is the 4 speed automatic transmission attached to the V6 that experiences most of the problems.

The three speed auto that comes with the 4 cylinder engine has a better durability record.

Reply to
THOR

I don't know if there is an answer to this. If so, it wasn't 1996.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

I checked with the service manager at a local dealership regarding this issue. The manager's response was that the Chrysler automatics REQUIRE scheduled transmission fluid changes. If you don't change the fluid, they will fail before 100,000 miles. Too many drivers neglect this maintenance and suffer the consequences.

Reply to
THOR

You used to be able to ignore things like trans fluid changes and cooling system flushes and get away with it. Not any more.

You could even stretch oil change intervals, but no more.

Reply to
High Sierra

: >

: You used to be able to ignore things like .....cooling system : flushes and get away with it. Not any more.

That's right. The lack of cooling system flushes is the #1 reason for Intake gasket failures on GM Products

Reply to
THOR