Stock Bumper for 2004 PT Cruiser Limited Edition?

I'm interested in replacing the bumpers on my new Purple Woody PT Cruiser with the dark gray plastic stock bumpers. Yes, I know I'm screwing with the styling of the car, but I'd like to have a real bumper, not a scraper. I'm told a stock bumper can be bolted on by a body shop, but I'm also told the stock bumper will not replace the purple enamel bumper currently on the PT without some kind of modification.

Does anyone here know what that modification would be and where I might be able to buy a dark gray stock bumper that would fit the 2004 PT Limited Edition?

Thanks.

Reply to
Panther

I don't know where you heard that the replacement bumper needs modification. When my Cruiser was in the shop for a parking lot mishap, I inquired about replacing the bumper with the newer body color bumper and the body shop manager said it was a simple bolt off, bolt on operation, just the cost of the bumper. If you want a "real" bumper, then get the chrome bumper shells and have a real metal chrome bumper, not the body color bumper. Sometimes it is sold on ebay. It is available online from many pats sources for after market PT parts.

Mark

Panther wrote:

Reply to
Mark Stuart

Dear Mark, Dear Mark,

Thanks for your post. Regarding the modification info: I got that word from the dealer. I went to their parts department. They called their body show and were told stock bumpers were not a simple swap out with the enamel bumper of the 2004 PT LE. They said the bumper would have to be "modified". On your advice, I'll ask another body shop what they think of that answer.

Regarding the chrome bumper shell: I looked into that but every site I found said these chrome bumper guards fit over the standard stock bumper only. How can I be sure they will fit over the the purple enamel bumper of my new car, and how can I be sure this new thin chrome bumper won't scratch up the paint of the purple bumper, either by its installation or by not fully protecting the paint underneath?

What are you thoughts? Thanks

Reply to
Panther