Why is Chrysler still selling new 2006 Crossfires?

There are 2006 Pontiac GTO's too. Lots and lots of them. I guess I have to agree with you - I've never seen anything quite like it either. The GTO is a really great car, but the styling is too boring. I guess the crossfire has the opposite problem, its styling isn't boring enough.

I feel comfortable saying the reason people didn't buy crossfires wasn't because it was a bad car. It's bound to be a great car. It's just that the market for a 2-seater non-convertible is pretty limited, and it's kind of high-priced. They build too many.

The Sky and Solstice have been fun to watch - they've decide not to build enough of them. Our dealer in my town has never actually had one for sale. They pre-sell them all.

Reply to
Joe

The market was further limited by the fact that only a midget could buy the car. I'm 6' and a tad over 200 and couldn't fit in the damn thing... Had to bend my head sideways and look at the pillar at the top of the windshield.

Why would they build a car that attracts men and then make it so a man can't fit in it? I've been in plenty of cars that weren't comfortable but not many that I just plain couldn't fit in to.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

So it's a poor car for this market, plus it was overpriced? No wonder it tanked. This YAHOO comment says a lot:

In NA you MUST HAVE LOTS OF CUP HOLDERS DL!

Reply to
who

So it's sized for ladies or Asian men? THX, then I wouldn't fit either, so I won't be taking one off Chryslers hands.

Reply to
who

Chrysler in fact may have realized that, judging from the TV commercial

- remember the TV commercial in which the Asian kid is sitting at home mumbling to himself while his dad is out shopping for a new car - he's thinking his dad will bring home some lame car. Then his dad, wearing a sports cap and looking super cool, pulls into the driveway in a new Crossfire, and the kid goes "Woah - dad!!"?

Bill Putney

And in that case, its because GM made it look so much like a Grand Prix that nobody notices them. What a mess- the new GTO (Holden) is a wonderful chassis, screwed over by wretched styling.

Reply to
Steve

Why would you say that? Its ALL Mercedes under the skin, and they've been crap lately.

Reply to
Steve

Like the '96 Cirrus which I found just wrong for me. The steering wheel was to far away when the seat was correct for my legs. A kind Chrysler salesman told me to forget it, as it only fits shorter people like Asian men.

I have this same problem with the Toyota Corolla. A telescoping steering would solve this problem, but they don't want too many people to buy below their income capability.

Reply to
who

The reason for that is the airbag. In order to keep the airbag a "safe" distance from the shorter end of the range of people likely to ever drive a car (who also happen to be the most likely to be injured by a bag because they're also lighter), they put the wheel far away. I HATE having my arms straight out when driving, but all modern cars are that way, its nearly impossible to get the classic driving position of elbows bent down by your ribs anymore.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
<steve86

So they've been holding back on a full guarantee for their very long life power trains?

Reply to
who

Reply to
<steve86

True, but a telescoping steering makes it possible.

Reply to
who

It WOULD if manufacturers still offered it on many models.

Reply to
Steve

Long-life powertrains don't really need a full guarantee. But at any rate, we're talking about a Benz powertrain, not a "long life" one :-p

Reply to
Steve

Several "import manufacturers" are now offering it, see the Toyota Camry and Volvo. They do need to offer it on more cars. I could drive the Toyota Corolla if it had one.

Reply to
who

Oh, so they are mutually exclusive. If Chrysler has to fix Mercedes power trains for life time, they then won't survive.

Reply to
who

Makes sense to me. Just ONE Benz repair would put me out of business... :-)

Reply to
Steve