Wipers no longer park..

I have an annoying problem on my '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.. the windshield wipers no longer self park, and the 'intermittent' does not adjust.. get a sweep maybe every 15-20 secs only.. there are no obvious relays that control either feature.. what should I be looking to check to fix either/both problems?

TIA

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

A lot of newer wiper systems have all the controls attached to the wiper motor. I had a similar problem in my 1998 Saturn and once diagnosed as a relay problem I found that the relay was attached to the actual motor. I removed the motor and replaced with a new one and was curious as to what all was in the motor housing. I opened it up to find all the relays in there. The one that controls the intermittent was pitted and fried.

Reply to
Keyed4U

Thanks for the info.. I had a feeling that it wouldn't be a 5c 5 minute job.. oh well..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

My Caravan, (might be the same) has just a manual park switch inside the motor unit. It is pushed open as the motor passes its park position. The switch is used for more than just park. It is bypassed when the wiper should not park, and it is used to signal the intermittent stop position. It is quite common for the switch to corrode, or just get so dirty that it can not pass the park position information signal. On more than one occasion when mine did this, I was able to remove the unit, open it up and clean the switch and restore normal operation. However, once the problem occurred, it re-occurred every year or so again. On my Caravan, the access and removal is lengthily, so on the third time, I broke down an installed a new motor. Problem now gone (several years).

Reply to
Mike Martin

I would sooner replace the motor.. at least that way I will get reliabily for a longer period.. what am I saying?.. the way that parts are made today, who the hell knows.. ty for the info tho..