Only in a JEEP 4x4?

Just heard a commercial for the new Jeep Columbia edition. At the end it says

"Only in a JEEP 4x4"

How long has the slogan included the 4x4? Could this be a sign of what is to come.... "Only in a JEEP AWD/IFS/IRS etc...."

Just made me think after hearing about the softening of the breed.

Reply to
aGraham

Approximately 11/11/03 10:41, aGraham uttered for posterity:

Think I heard it about the same time as the weasel worded "Trail Rated"... where the trail may be Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I am amazed by GM's new slogan "Professional Grade Engineering". Does anyone offer a vehicle designed by amateur engineers?

Reply to
Paul Calman

Yugo?

Reply to
Jeepers

Yes! My GM!

Reply to
<olllllllo

Yugo?

Add Kia

Reply to
<Newsmanager

Approximately 11/11/03 12:25, Jeepers uttered for posterity:

Already been. But thanks for the thought.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Yugogurl!

Reply to
Jeepers

I am gonna make my own commercial with the tagline at the end that says, "Only in a Jeep with lockers." Kevin has the video already ...

Reply to
CRWLR

Yeah, the new IFS jeeps... ;-)

Reply to
TJim

...not lately, you?

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
attnews

Reply to
attnews

The only thing worse than the "Trail Rated" marketing campaign is the stupid badges they're putting on the products.

Watch closely, folks, this is "brand management" run amok. If they can justify killing off all the Jeep brand stands for by dumbing it down to increase volume they'll do it in a heartbeat.

The new Grand is likely to have IFS, even though they said a few months ago it "didn't perform to our expectations of what a Jeep should do off road" vs. a solid axle. Then comes the dumb ass PR announcement campaign where the DC executive says "not all Jeeps have to be able to run down the Rubicon Trail, do they? I think not!" That simple pronouncement meant the end of Jeep as we know it.

Oh, well, there's always the chance I can buy a few more and stash 'em somewhere!

Reply to
Jerry McGeorge

See you have rebranded yourself, Gerald !

:-)

David/Dave Milne Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Lon: Now what do you know about orange blossom trail in Orlando Fla.. Jimmie: In Iowa, But lived in Orlando for about 6 years.

Reply to
CJimmie in Iowa

Approximately 11/16/03 17:10, CJimmie in Iowa uttered for posterity:

Used to work for a coupla companies with big customers down there, both just off the lower end of the trail...away from the hitchhikers and nudie bars.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Okay I'll bite, why were the last "true and real" (whatever that's supposed to mean) Jeeps AMC designs?

Please can anyone quantify what 'trueness' or 'realness' signifies? I mean besides being a buzzword for people who seem to be living in the past?

So far no one has actually managed to define what true or real is, and why anyone should give a crap. Except possibly Bill and his dictionary definition that excludes his own Jeep... But if the definition of 'real Jeep' is a pure military Willys then I'll take my 'Improved Jeep' and leave the "real" ones for people who can afford to collect and restore antiques.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

A 'real' Jeep is any vehicle carrying the Jeep name that is short wheelbase, either military spec or highly modified to look like Big Foot, that is draughty and uncomfortable but can more or less cross any kind of terrain.. unless of course the reference is to the 'real' FSJ (Full Size Jeep), a vehicle that can have a wheelbase no longer than 133" and not shorter than

109", be military spec or highly modified to look like Big Foot.. or any vehicle carrying the Jeep name, bearing in mind that all Jeep designs to date have to be tested on a trail in Calif. that would bust most other 4x4's apart other than 'non Jeeps' like the Mercedes G Wagon or Toyota Land Cruiser (not a definitive list of 'non Jeeps', so quit squawking already.. lol)..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Well that narrows it down lol. So what you're saying is the only thing substantially different from a 'real' Jeep and an 'improved' Jeep is the shorter wheelbase that may or may not let the 'real' Jeep go into (a handfull) of places that the longer wheelbase YJ may or may not also get into... Either of which may or may not be modified to look like Big Foot; in the process of trying to jam it into some nooks and crannys on a trail in California.

Reply to
Simon Juncal