Wire Location? Turn Signal Mirror Accessory

I'm trying to add turn signal mirror parts to my 04 Chrysler mini-van. It is widely reported that these 04+ vehicles are factory wired for these parts. Yet, when I pull off one factory mirror I only found 5 wires, 2 for the mirror heater and 3 for the remote motor. I found no wires for the signal lights. Anyone have any information on this issue? Thanks

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Hey Richard,

I don't believe they are pre-wired in the mirror. You'll have to connect to the turn indicator circuit in the vehicle. Didn't your accessory come with instructions? How about contacting your dealership for more wiring info on your Chrysler?

Freedman

Reply to
hudbud98

I'm not using the Chrysler red arrow on the mirror kit. Instead I purchased a left and right mirror amber LED indicator module used on the outside of the mirror housing of Mercedes models. [I picked up the smaller unit used in

2000 E220 models]. I intend to cut an opening into my housing and glue the LED module's in. I had read that 2004 mini-vans had the guts pre-wired but I guess that report was in error.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Reply to
philthy

I think that may be more difficult than just routing the wires internally because of the way the wiring for the mirrors is set up. When you fish the wire into the vehicle from the mirror, it's already inside the passenger compartment so you'd have to then find a place to fish the wire out to the headlamps, which seems to be an extra step when compared to just connecting to the wiring under the dash...

Be sure to solder and shrink-wrap the connection to avoid corrosion, especially if you connect on the outside of the vehicle.

Freedman

Reply to
hudbud98

Reply to
philthy

Richard,

Years ago the factory would use 1 wire loom for every model - it would be wired with all of the accessories, whether they were actually installed or not in the car.

Today the factory inventories at least a dozen different wire looms and they only run wires for the accessories that are ordered when the vehicle is built.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I'm not advocating tearing into the steering column to make the connection, just connecting to the same circuit you are directing him to only on the inside of the vehicle before it exits to the exterior. This will skip the step of rerouting the wires to the outside. If that will cause a problem on the inside, it will cause one on the outside too, right?

Mopar sells a signal mirror kit for this vehicle and the instructions show to make the connection in the vehicle. Mopar part and Mopar instructions. Kit number is 82208727 if you're wondering. That's how the factory says to do it too...

Freedman

Reply to
hudbud98