Diesel Starting Problem

I'm neither clueless nor unthinking. I find it difficult to accept that the small additional side thrust encountered in the 5(ish) seconds that it takes to start the engine has a significantly higher effect than the side thrust encountered during normal running. Let's face it, it takes hardly any more time to start the car than to change gear - and you do that far more times than starting up.

By your reckoning my Series 2a Land Rover with 460,000 miles on the clock should be on its 7th clutch by now, whereas it's actually on its second. Likewise, all the Discovery's I've owned should have been on their 2nd or 3rd - but were still running originals at 150k+. Ditto the current Xantia with 170k+ on its original clutch.

BTW, the Xantia owners handbook says you should depress the clutch whilst staring the engine (petrol or diesel) in cold weather.

Reply to
SteveG

SteveG (_@_._) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Bear in mind that some modern cars actually have a starter inhibitor switch on the clutch pedal to PREVENT you starting the car unless the pedal's planted...

Reply to
Adrian

Well we will have to agree to dis-agree on that then...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Your point being what exactly? All the above would mean is that any engine with faulty crankshaft side thrust bearings might never start!

Reply to
:Jerry:

what a thread!!! ,just read it all ... just a question .. i find it funny that jerry has 30 years experience ,yet he's never heard of post heating!! regards mark

Reply to
markmtbanks via CarKB.com

Just as I've never encountered a car exhibiting Jerry's non-starting due to excessive side thrust I've also never driven a car that MUST have the pedal depressed to start it. What have I missed out on?

Reply to
SteveG

i agree mate

Reply to
markmtbanks via CarKB.com

Two ignorant people don't change the facts though...

Reply to
:Jerry:

:Jerry: ( snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.INVALID) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Even when they're both you?

Reply to
Adrian

I have found only one. In 1991 I drove a Citroen AX330 (cheaper version of a 2CV) and it did not start with the clutch depressed due to the side thrust.

I do think its a bit extreme to assume not using the clutch to start a modern car would be a standard practice though. I dont think it really matters and its safer to always depress the pedal.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Eduardo K. ( snipped-for-privacy@nn.spam.cl) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A *what*...?

Hold on a minute... .CL - Chile?

Some local variant of a 2cv? I know there were a few.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian, ferchristsake...

Gasket

I'm not ignorant at all ... i accept all idea's i know i don't know everything and never will ,i work as a peugeot master technician..but yours jerry unfortunately come across as pure bollocks. You may have so many years experience ..but its obvious you haven't been doing the nitty gritty stuff. kind regards mark

Reply to
markmtbanks via CarKB.com

Yup. Made in Chile. I now drive (besides a BX and a Xantia) a 1979 Chilean assembled GS Club.

Eduardo K.

You're a 'Peugeot master technician' then? That means you see only new or dealer maintained cars then, perhaps it's you who needs to do some nitty gritty stuff rather than spout the pure bollocks - if the dealer doesn't see the faults they can't exist...

I once had an argument with a BMC/BL senior parts manager as he could not accept that one could have a loose gear on the distributor / oil pump drive of a Maxi engine - 'cos he had never ever had to supply one in all his years - until I showed him the faulty one I had on the bench behind the engine hanging off the crane in front. Or the Ford dealers workshop manager, in front of engineers from Dagenham, who had never seen an incorrectly drilled oil-way in a cylinder head before - even though his workshop staff had fitted three (yes, 3) camshafts to the same CVH engine in question under warranty - they couldn't understand why one of the cams failed within a few hundred miles - quite nice seeing senior Ford Motor Co. management giving a right bollocking to their dealers rep' in the middle of the workshop of a small inde garage... :~)

Reply to
:Jerry:

Your personal assessments of me have no bearing on this discussion. Making the statements that I must be clueless, unthinking or ignorant without any knowledge of me, my qualifications, experience or occupation speak volumes to everyone else in this newsgroup.

To date, you have not produced one single fact: just anecdotal evidence from your experience, so here's a challenge for you.

Name me just one car that has an inhibitor on the clutch pedal that means it won't start without the clutch depressed as a standard fit item and just one that works the opposite way.

Reply to
SteveG

Eduardo, that doesn't count. My response was to Adrian who said that some cars are fitted with an inhibitor. Excessive side thrust that prevents and engine starting may be an effective inhibitor but Citroen didn't design it in as a feature :-)

Nice try though :-)

Reply to
SteveG

It sounds like the motor trade would be lost without you !. I do nitty gritty stuff EVERY day of my life so do all other master techs. we don't always just see dealer cars or dealer maintained ones. we see vehicles from some independent garages who don't have the knowledge to fix the vehicles (not their fault). Maxi engine and cvh engine probs wow SO WHAT?? you've spotted a fault a dealer couldn't ?? don't you think we see things other dealers or indep. have missed so what ?? its going to happen . Theirs only one ignorant person in here and im afraid its you .."In 30 years experience i haven't HEARD OF POST HEATING" . "Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance"

Reply to
markmtbanks via CarKB.com

BMW, Mercedes and Ford very often instruct you in the handbook to depress the clutch when starting. There are also a few cars about that won't start

*unless* the clutch is depressed.
Reply to
Pete M

The Renault Megane with the silly keycard thing won't start unless you have either the clutch or brake pedal depressed.

I had an Alfa once that wouldn't start no matter what you did to the clutch pedal :-)

Reply to
Pete M