Xantia gear change

Hi

I had the clutch done about 3 months ago and the bloke did say if there were problems go back to him but as I left the problem this long I feel it's a bit iffy taking back now. Anyway just occasionally when trying to select 5th the gear linkage goes really stiff and instead of having to move the lever over a couple of inches from 3rd it only has to move a centimetre or so. 3rd also seems a bit stiff but nothing like the same extent. 1st is fine as are all the other gears. This stiffness comes and goes and seems to be related to going round a sharp left hand bend or accelerating uphill. However decelerating downhill doesn't seem to cure it. I haven't had a chance to crawl underneath just yet as weekends have been so busy but if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful.

Reply to
Malc

Stripperella

my gear lever moves round "5 minutes" or so everynow and then. seems odd as it looks like one unit (the entire lever moves round)

Also i cannot come out of 5th gear with any pressure towards the right or it doesn't come out. lever just goes straight back to R position but doesn't engage reverse of course.

Been like it since i had it

its a 96N 1.9TD for ref.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech

Same as mine then. This has definitely only happened since the clutch change though. I only decided to ask today because it fell out of fifth coming down a slope on the M5 this afternoon. I didn't notice much at first, just a change in noise level, because the slope was enough to keep the car's speed up.

Reply to
Malc

clutch is getting ready on mine. not bad but well you can tell its geting there. just bought 2 new vans tho and a new PA system for my work so it'll have to wait.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech

Fixed it.!! There's a pipe steady near the gear change linkage. Just a bit of bent steel about 3 or 4mm in diameter. The gear linkages are ball joints with the connector looking like a bar with a hoop on either end. Under certain circumstances the connector can twist and put the hoop in contract with the pipe steady which pushed the steady into the path of th connector link. Every time it did this the steady got bent more and more into the path of the connecting link making it harder and harder to engage 3rd and 5th. A sharp prod with a wrecking bar from above was enough to push it down about

1cm - nicely out of the way.
Reply to
Malc