Rear Calliper Removal

Hello All, I have a difficulty removing the caliper from the disc on the rear wheels of 86 v.d.p. I need to replace pads and the disc. Everything is removed and clear but I do not have clear instructions on how to remove the calipers from the disc. My repair manual has left me confused. Please help if you know how. Exploded view would also help besides instructions. Advanced thank you for your assistance. Nathan

Reply to
ntmakoto

Hi Nathan,

It is a while since I did this but I'll try and remember. You will need to jack the car up fairly high (on stands under the jacking points). Wheels off. Loosen the jubilee clips on the diff end universal covers and slide them out of the way. Remove the Shock Absorbers (complete) and undo the axle end of the trailing arms. You will need to support the hubs, they are pretty heavy. Undo the 4 nuts holding the universals onto the stub axles and disks. Be careful not to break the grease nipple.  The axle is now free swing downwards. This has to swing down quite a way to allow the disk to be removed (later). Hydraulic line disconnected, lots of fluid. If this is the first time caliper has been removed, it will be necessary to cut and remove the lock wire through the caliper mounting bolts. Through the disks there are 2 holes which allow access with a socket to undo the caliper mounting bolts. Undo the bolts and remove the calipers. The disks will now be free to come off the axle stubs (This is where you find out if the car is high enough). Be careful to take the shims off the axle stubs and remember the order. It is necessary to replace these back in the same order when reassembling.

You should be able to work things out from here. When remounting the calipers use the correct grade of "Loctite" - check with the Jaguar Agent's mechanic he may help with this (I cannot remember).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chris

ntmakoto wrote:

Hello All, I have a difficulty removing the caliper from the disc on the rear wheels of 86 v.d.p. I need to replace pads and the disc. Everything is removed and clear but I do not have clear instructions on how to remove the calipers from the disc. My repair manual has left me confused. Please help if you know how. Exploded view would also help besides instructions. Advanced thank you for your assistance. Nathan

--------------090907040803020103040809--

Reply to
Chris Halpin