65 Chevy C10 - turn signal

re: 65 Chevy C10

My turn signal lever will not stay in position. I have to hold it in place, and even then it won't always work correctly. I'm thinking I need the plastic piece inside the steering column that it snaps in and out of, for lack of a better way to describe it. Would I be able to get away with just this piece, or is it generally better to buy a larger assembly and replace more at once? Also, what is that piece called? Thanks.

Reply to
The Dave©

What you need is a turn signal switch. It is available from most of the old parts houses. Do a google search and you will find plenty. It not hard to change. You will need a puller to remove the steering wheel.

Roger Poplin dba snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
RKP51X

If you plan on keeping your truck then replace the entire 'turn signal assembly'.

I have replaced them before on various jobs and when something is hard I usually remember but can't remember anything being hard about replacing the turn signals on an early chevy. I doubt that the dealer would have them in stock, will probably have to get one from a vintage parts store. You will need a minimum of mechanical skills for this job.

Reply to
Rod Williams

Reply to
Jones

If I'm envisioning what your talking about correctly, could you tape a string to the far end of the wires, pull them out, then attach the new wires to the string and pull them through from the other end of the column?

Reply to
The Dave©

Ouch, the switch is avail at LMC Parts

for 89.95. Thats a bit steep, granted, but try buying one for a new chevy truck! pull the wheel and check it out, it may be repairable.Send off for their catalog, its free and informative. Dan

Reply to
J. Dan Jones

Check with your local NAPA they sell repair parts for a lot of turn signal switches GM sells the parts individually if you know what you need. Helps to have a friend at the parts counter too, most of the time they do not want to be bothered looking up a 19 cent spring for my 77 turn signal.

Reply to
Batty

Go here:

and look for: Chevy Truck Resource Pages

and go sign up at Stovebolt.com and chevytalk.com(60-66 trucks forum)

all u need is an email acct. - free to use. u come up with a user id and a pass word.

Go here to look for companies that sell parts... it's jsut my hobby site:

-W

-Woogeroo

'spill a beer cuz I'm missin' you, I'm still alright to smile...'

Hey! Wait a minute!?

remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Smoking Page:

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Woogeroo's Autolinks:

Woogeroo