Do I have a cambelt or a chain

I have just taken my 53 reg Corsa 1.2 for its first MOT and a service. I thought the cam belt needed changing as mileage is 40000 but Vauxhall say the car does not have a cambelt. When my son bought an 02 reg Corsa

1.2 this year he was told by the salesman that when they did the MOT they also replaced the cambelt. I mentioned this to Vauxhall and they said that his car also doesn't have a cambelt. How do I know this is right? Our old 1996 reg Corsa met it's end when the cambelt broke so I am naturally concerned.
Reply to
matross

have u tried an e-mail to Vauxhall?

Reply to
Tom

answers to my previous post on the Agila they state the 1.0 Corsa has a chain so I cannot see why the 1.2 is not the same.

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Really? I'd not be surprised if the Agilia doesn't have a different block entirely, or even 3 cylinders.

Reply to
Doki

Look in the engine bay for a cambelt?

Reply to
Doki

According to Autodata the 1.0 & 1.2 have chains and the 1.4 and above have belts. 1997 onward have chains fitted in the smaller engines.

Reply to
redwood

1.0 3 cylinder and 1.2 4 cylinder engines use cam chains in both Corsa and Agila. Nasty sounding things they are.
Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I am pretty sure all 1.2 Corsas have chains so I would be suspicious of a salesman who says they changed the belt.

I would ask for a copy of their internal invoice to see exactly what they did do.

Alan

Reply to
Alan