Motor Oil

What motor oil weight & brand would I use in my 66 Nova, 230 6 cylinder that would have the proper additives for this vintage engine?

Reply to
Marty

You may want to consider both an oil and an additive to replace the now missing zinc that has been removed from formulas. Lucas has a good additive IIRC. Virtually any engine with flat tappets would benefit from such an additive. However, if you are not driving a lot, (say only a few thousand miles a year) virtually any straight 30 weight oil will be fine.

Reply to
PeterD

Recalling what used to use in my father's 62 Chrysler and my 69 Plymouth, I'd guess about any 10w-30 pr 10w-40 would be fine. Only if you're in a very warm climate would I go anything as heavy as straight 30. No, it won't "burn," but no, it won't lubricate nearly as much during the first few minutes of a cold start as a lighter oil.

The heavier weights were popular with people who survived WWII and didn't want oil burning at all during the shortages. However, they didn't realize that their engines--particularly the main and rod bearings--were wearing a lot more during the first few minutes of running.

My father used to tell me to run the eng>What motor oil weight & brand would I use in my 66 Nova, 230 6 cylinder that

Reply to
myford100