4" PCD hubs for a Herald?

Dear All,

I am giving the Rebel its annual titivate before the winter. It could really do with new front shoes but these (same as a Herald or a 105E Anglia) are no unobtainable. So I am giving some thought to converting to disk brakes. The braking side is dead easy: the upraight is from a Herald and I have two complete disk-braked Herald uprights available - they'll slot straight in.

The problem is the hub, because dear old Reliant didn't go the whole hog with Herald bits. Oh dear me no. The brake are from a Ford Anglia and the hub is Reliant's own, running on a Vitesse stub axle.

However ... I can solve all this if I can simply find disk braked hubs for Herald front suspension which has 4" PCD wheel studs. And I have found them - Marcos and Ginettas used them, it seems, and replacements are to be had at

However

1) They are light alloy rather than cast iron. Do I worry about this? The Rebel is fairly light, but still a ton four-up.

2) They are =A3123 a pair.Which is more in the context of a Reliant Rebel than it would be for a Ginetta. If anyone knows of a cheaper part which would do the job, please let me know.

Ian

PS The canonical solution is apparently to go with Herald hubs and wheels, up to 13" from 12", and put Minor wheels on the back to get the same diameter. Having different wheels front and back strikes me as a fair old bodge, though.

Reply to
Ian

You sure? Try the lads at 105speed.com. Email them and ask them because if they haven't got any, they're likely to know someone who has.

Reply to
Conor

Duly emailed - but there does seem to be a dearth of these things. I thought I'd got lucky on eBay, but they turned out to be wide shoes for a 123S Super Anglia, mislabelled. Still, the seller took them back and refunded me in full!

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I'm sure you could get new linings, though. If bonded on that might be a pro job. But I've riveted ones at home.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, indeed. I've been thinking about doing a swap to disk for some time, though, and the problem with shoes is just one prompt to think about doing it now. The other is that I have just (yesterday!) dismantled a Herald 13/60 front suspension which has almost-new swivels, axles and calipers, so all I need to find is hubs and the job is relatively easy.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Herald hubs, redrilled to 4" PCD?

Reply to
Phil

The thought had occurred to me. However, it would be a fairly non- trivial job: the existing stud hole would need filled (weld?) and then new ones drilled. Beyond what I have the equipment to do, let alone skills ... I might ask my friendly local machine shop, but I suspect that the alloy ones might yet be cheaper.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

As there are only 4 studs, remove them and redrill indexed by 45 degrees. How much would a machine shop charge for 8 holes?

Reply to
Phil

The other option is to get your existing shoes relined. You might find somewhere suitable here:

A while ago I had shoes for a rover P4 relined here:
and they seem to be able to get hold of most things, so it might be worth giving them a call. Their website does refer to brake shoes and brake drums.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Ian saying something like:

It's a shame they're not 4.5" because Reliant had a habit of using Triumph parts on the front suspension and there are plenty of Scimmy parts around.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Are you sure the price is per pair? On the link, they're priced each.

John

Reply to
John

I have now realised that, and am putting the plans on hold. There is also an issue about locating the wheels. So I'll stick with drums for now: the long term idea is to adapt Herald hubs, but that will be a fair bit of machining...

Ian

Reply to
Ian