'60s British car speedo - ID needed...

Chaps,

I obtained this the other day. Any idea what it's from?

Markings read... (left of speedo) - Made in England (right of speedo) - SN9814/08 1376

Warning lights for left and right indicators, Ignition (charge?), Oil pressure, Main beam (above odo) Fuel calibrated - E - 1/2 - F, Temp C-H, Speedo calibrated to 90mph. Five digit plus 10ths odo.

The back has two illumination bulbs and what looks like a voltage reg mounted behind the Ign light. Bulbs are 12v.

(...and if it's something you need, make me an offer before it appears on fleaBay!)

Reply to
toomany2cvs

That shape of speedo was used on some Austins (Cambridge perhaps?) and some Fords. My guess is a MK1 Zephyr, but it is only a guess.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

That dash is going to annoy the hell outta me. I've seen one, quite recently, but can't remember what in. My initial thought was an Anglia, but a google says I'm wrong. Bugger.

Reply to
Pikey Pete

Austin A40 Farina Mark II

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Seconded.

Reply to
Leroy Curtis

Thirded. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Mike G ( snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think we'll take that as a consensus! Thanks...

fleaBay, here it comes...

Reply to
Adrian

It's similar but somehow not quite right - mainly the fuel gauge etc. Pity the pic doesn't include the whole thing.

But it's a long time since my brother had A40s. Knowing him he'll still have a speedo. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There's three pics there. One of 'em does.

Reply to
Adrian

Perhaps it's my browser - but non of them come up with a full pic of the unit. The speedo looks like an A40 one but the graphics I can see on the fuel gauge look somehow wrong. But I could just be having a senior moment.

Go ahead and Ebay it with pic as an A40 unit. Anyone wanting it would surely know if it's correct or not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed, but I'd rather identify it before - if it turns out to be from a Spagthorpe Wuffle, few of those desperate-for-original-parts Spagthorpe owners will look, whilst all the A40 owners will go "No, it isn't" and ignore it. Somebody _will_ quietly identify it correctly, then buy it for

99p instead of the hundreds of thousands it'd undoubtedly be worth if correctly marketed. I won't be able to retire early off the back of the sale to a secluded but luxurious corner of the world, and will continue to post here.

See? It's in all of your best interests to correctly identify it...

Reply to
Adrian

Yippee ( snipped-for-privacy@intuh.net.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Well, it's obviously NOT from the Mk3, since they only built one, and that was LHD - so would have had a KPH speedo.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian realised it was 26 Sep 2007 10:15:05 GMT and decided it was time to write:

You're right. It could well be from a Spagthorpe Wuffle, although I'm not sure whether it's from a Mk2 or Mk3.

Reply to
Yippee

Yippee ( snipped-for-privacy@intuh.net.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Hmmm. Could be, I s'pose. Looks like that Caribbean Island retreat may be within my reach after all.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian realised it was 26 Sep 2007 13:51:46 GMT and decided it was time to write:

Yes, but that single, LHD Mk3 was exported to the US and it's been lost for years, so it could well be from that car.

Reply to
Yippee

I had one until last year. At first sight I didn't think it was, but I checked the photos in the club mag and it definitely is. No question.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@RILEYELFb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Cheers, Chris.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah. I wonder what it is that looks wrong to you too at first glance? I thought the fuel gauge graphics.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think it was just the fact I've never seen one out of the car so the overall shape looked wrong.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@RILEYELFb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Since we can't get any more compelling "No" vote than that...

130158191807
Reply to
Adrian